Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Canadian pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your total sales tax depends on what province you live in...here in Ontario, I will have to pay 13% sales tax on the purchase price of the car ...

EU (Dutch) pricing: 10% import duty + 21% sales tax. :mad:
"Fortunately" this compares favorably to e.g. a Corvette Z06 which gets another 11.1% car tax and €40k :scared: CO2 tax

The base price for a Z06 here is €166,566 (US $205,809 instead of US $75,600 + tax in the US)

I wonder if the Ontario $100 Air Conditioner surcharge will apply? It was meant to be a penalty for the extra gas an a/c equipped car would use, but since most, if not all cars now have a/c it is likely just a cash grab. After all, in the Tesla it's an electric air conditioner!

Mike

Yes, the A/C tax applied to the Roadster. If it has an A/C, it's taxed.

Another small tax grab is the "tire tax". Of course the Ontario government insists it's a fee, not a tax, but they collect the money and spend very little of it on disposing of used tires.

Yes, the A/C tax applied to the Roadster. If it has an A/C, it's taxed.

Another small tax grab is the "tire tax". Of course the Ontario government insists it's a fee, not a tax, but they collect the money and spend very little of it on disposing of used tires.

Jeeze! It's a wonder they don't slap the "gas guzzler" tax on too (on the basis it would be if it had an ICE!)

I looked at my invoice for the last new car I bought in '09 (in Ontario) and there was no line item for the tire tax. I do remember paying it at a tire dealer for replacement tires, but that was back in the late '90s or early '00s. Did it go away and come back, or perhaps my dealer simply worked it into the new car price?
Mike

12% for Manitoba. I actually don't mind it; this is the fairest way of collecting tax. I'd way rather pay sales tax than income or property taxes. Of course it would hurt the rich corporations to not get their yachts and vacations covered as business write-offs. (I actually do own a small business and get some minor write offs myself, but don't take "advantage" of everything I could technically do).

12% for Manitoba. I actually don't mind it; this is the fairest way of collecting tax. I'd way rather pay sales tax than income or property taxes. Of course it would hurt the rich corporations to not get their yachts and vacations covered as business write-offs. (I actually do own a small business and get some minor write offs myself, but don't take "advantage" of everything I could technically do).

I wouldn't mind either, except here in Ontario I pay the 13% HST (sales tax) and rather high Income and Property taxes!

It hit home for me when my brother moved from the Toronto area to LA a few years ago. He was earning roughly the same salary (only in $US) and went from a small rented house to a large home he owns, has 3 cars now, good health insurance and is generally better off all around - - primarily due to lower taxation.

Now, I don't want to get into a whole discussion over social equities and so forth... this is just a simple observation on how I am personally affected by Canadian taxation.

Mike

I wouldn't mind either, except here in Ontario I pay the 13% HST (sales tax) and rather high Income and Property taxes!
Now, I don't want to get into a whole discussion over social equities and so forth... this is just a simple observation on how I am personally affected by Canadian taxation.

Mike

I totally agree with you. Now back to Cdn pricing... I would be extremely pleased if Tesla found a way to qualify under NAFTA, but I think it's too late unfortunately.

So, after seeing all the info about how Tesla is vertically integrated, and apparently batteries from Japan might even be duty free... why is there still a 6.1% duty for canadians? Sure they were importing tires from the Czech (are they still?) and 12v batteries from god knows where.... but most of the car is built in the factory.

Why? Silly NAFTA rules, that's why. The car needs to have 60% North American content, and it falls a little short. Thus we pay duty.

If Tesla was willing to ship the battery packs to Canada separately from the cars, and complete "assembly" here, then we'd likely pay a lot less tax. But then there would be a lot more logistics. It sounds like they're willing to do that for Europe but not for a relatively small market like Canada.

If Tesla was willing to ship the battery packs to Canada separately from the cars, and complete "assembly" here, then we'd likely pay a lot less tax. But then there would be a lot more logistics. It sounds like they're willing to do that for Europe but not for a relatively small market like Canada.

I had asked a long while ago if Tesla could ship or sell the battery separately and was told it was physically impossible ("physically"). Seeing the fast pack swap demo and reading stories of how the SCs all have spare packs on hand, I don't see what would be "physically" impossible about that.

I had asked a long while ago if Tesla could ship or sell the battery separately and was told it was physically impossible ("physically"). Seeing the fast pack swap demo and reading stories of how the SCs all have spare packs on hand, I don't see what would be "physically" impossible about that.

Just a guess... the battery pack is a major part of the structure of the car, so it might not be safe to transport without something bolted on there. Maybe they could put in a "placeholder", but they would have to engineer it and build it.

I watched the super factory episode for Tesla the other day and they went over the structure of the vehicle. The battery pack essentially holds the car together and gives it much of its rigidity and firmness. After seeing how the vehicle is put together, I could see why this would be trouble. Moving the fully built vehicle without this rigidity could definitely cause structure problems.

Remember, with the battery swap you are not moving. Should your car need to roll forward or move without its pack is where the problem would arise.

I watched the super factory episode for Tesla the other day and they went over the structure of the vehicle. The battery pack essentially holds the car together and gives it much of its rigidity and firmness. After seeing how the vehicle is put together, I could see why this would be trouble. Moving the fully built vehicle without this rigidity could definitely cause structure problems.

Remember, with the battery swap you are not moving. Should your car need to roll forward or move without its pack is where the problem would arise.

I dunno, seems a bit lame. I wonder how much effort they really put into getting around the 6.1% duty. 6.1% is a pretty big hit on a 100k car. It's almost the equivalent of removing the $7500 USA federal ev incentive for the americans.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a guess... the battery pack is a major part of the structure of the car, so it might not be safe to transport without something bolted on there. Maybe they could put in a "placeholder", but they would have to engineer it and build it.

Yeah. Didn't someone say that they were shipping the europe models without the battery attached to save the import taxes?

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh, yes you said it, doug :) So, if they can ship to Europe, why not Canada... we're a bit closer... Hell we could have been the logistical test for those Europeans!

Could be. I guess it's water under the bridge for me now, but that extra duty did cause me to back away from the Sig series and go with General Production and 19" wheels.