Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S cannot be ordered with a metal roof AT ALL now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the same way that robots can put the glass roof in place after they get done working inside the car, they can lower a solid sheet metal roof panel into place and seal it, just like the sunroof, thus giving Tesla the working room for the robots, and me my solid metal roof.

And a Sirius Satellite Radio antenna on top. If Dodge was able to do it on my '11 Challenger R/T, then there's no excuse for Tesla not having a satellite antenna on a solid metal roof.

I know, I harp on certain items a lot. But the Model 3 is a make-or-break for Tesla, and I don't want them to screw it up for themselves by irrationally limiting options that are important to me and others.

Model 3's "roof" is only that small middle portion...
There are practicaly no savings here by going with metal on that one part.
And all glass makes it easier to build and match parts together...

2017-Tesla-Model-3-top-view-interior-seats.jpg

Last edited:
so much angst about something that will not affect anyone who doesn't purchase from Tesla or actually try it out.
Certainly not worth getting aerated about for sure.
As @anonim1979 pointed out in the picture, its not like its a huge roof section in the Model3 or the S for that matter.

[edit]
funnily enough, this reminds me of a post in the Model3 section where someone was complaining bitterly that the all glass roof was totally useless because you might have to move your head to look out through the top :confused:
No pleasing some people.

Reactions: RayW
I was just on the Tesla website ordering page for the Model S, wondering when they will change ANYTHING on the Model 3 page.

As I was playing with the options, I noticed that now you cannot get a Model S with a metal roof AT ALL. There is no choice for it.

What is this obsession with glass roofs and sunroofs? Not everyone wants one! I want a solid metal roof on my Model 3, AND I want Sirius Satellite Radio! I do not want to pay extra for an option I don't even want!

I don't want the sun beating down on me in the car. I hate that, I don't care how tinted the glass is. I want to sit in my nice DARK cool interior with the AC blasting.

I guess if there were no way to order the car without a glass roof, I could take it to a custom body shop I know and have them cut out the glass roof and custom make me a metal roof, or at least put that wrapping stuff on the glass roof to cover it over. Or form a piece of sheet metal and RTV silicone it in place over the glass roof.

timk225, I shared your concerns before I took delivery of my MS and intended to purchase covers from Amazon. I didn't want a panoramic roof but needed to take delivery of an inventory car days before the end of the year, so I got what was available.

I can assure you, even on the hottest and brightest days, in the middle of the So. Cal. Inland Empire, the interior of a Tesla is quite pleasant, almost zen-like in it's tranquility, and as comforting as your mother's bosom on a cool spring morning. I am extremely pleased with the panoramic roof and would not do it any other way.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
In the same way that robots can put the glass roof in place after they get done working inside the car, they can lower a solid sheet metal roof panel into place and seal it, just like the sunroof, thus giving Tesla the working room for the robots, and me my solid metal roof.

And a Sirius Satellite Radio antenna on top. If Dodge was able to do it on my '11 Challenger R/T, then there's no excuse for Tesla not having a satellite antenna on a solid metal roof.

I know, I harp on certain items a lot. But the Model 3 is a make-or-break for Tesla, and I don't want them to screw it up for themselves by irrationally limiting options that are important to me and others.

Chevy Bolt comes with all-metal roof.

In addition to the glass only option, I noted that just a couple of days ago I could spec out a 70D, which was the base model. That's now been replaced with 75 RWD. No 70s left in the design studio. I suppose it was only a matter of time until they got rid of it considering the discount in the upgrades. But notably, if you bought a 70D a few days ago for the same price as what is now the base 75 (69,500), then couldn't you upgrade that 70D to a 75D for only like $1000? That's a lot cheaper than buying a new 75D right now. I almost was thinking about doing it.

that chevy bolt concept looks really great. It also resembles more a crossover SUV than the production bolt. Too bad. It seems like a great car otherwise. For my part, I would have been happy to test drive one, but none in TN until the end of this year, after the model 3 is already out, and after I need to already have a four-seater car (need to change like nowish). Waiting for M3 is out of the question too unfortunately as I would probably be able to get one in 2020 or so :)
So, here I am just buying a CPO model S.:cool:

I don't want the sun beating down on me in the car. I hate that, I don't care how tinted the glass is. I want to sit in my nice DARK cool interior with the AC blasting.

Have you sat in a Model S with the sun beating down? I never feel the sun on my head unless I open the sunroof.

I don't think there's much off a difference between a glass roof and a metal one when it comes to heating up the car from the sun because of the heavy tint that specifically filters UV rays. The windshield is a much bigger problem when it comes to heating up the car and I use a sunshade for that. Plus, you can use the app to cool the car before you get in so in my view you're really creating a problem that doesn't exist, for the Model S anyway.

Have you sat in a Model S with the sun beating down? I never feel the sun on my head unless I open the sunroof.

I don't think there's much off a difference between a glass roof and a metal one when it comes to heating up the car from the sun because of the heavy tint that specifically filters UV rays. The windshield is a much bigger problem when it comes to heating up the car and I use a sunshade for that. Plus, you can use the app to cool the car before you get in so in my view you're really creating a problem that doesn't exist, for the Model S anyway.
So I don't know how believable this is, but when I was at a Tesla store recently, I brought up all the concerns about sun beating down, etc. that OP had. I specifically said I don't mind a sunroof, but don't understand why Tesla won't put in a sliding cover that blocks the sunroof whenever we want, like even cheap econoboxes do. The sales rep told me that 1) you can buy sun shades for $150 (OK that sounds reasonable), and 2) the sunshades are not needed because the roof blocks 90% of all sunlight. He said that he's been able to sit in the car and stare directly at the sun through the roof. Others around the Tesla store also told me that many people have got into the car to take a testdrive with a sunroof and didn't even notice there was glass there, because it blocks so much light.

• Helpful
So I don't know how believable this is, but when I was at a Tesla store recently, I brought up all the concerns about sun beating down, etc. that OP had. I specifically said I don't mind a sunroof, but don't understand why Tesla won't put in a sliding cover that blocks the sunroof whenever we want, like even cheap econoboxes do. The sales rep told me that 1) you can buy sun shades for $150 (OK that sounds reasonable), and 2) the sunshades are not needed because the roof blocks 90% of all sunlight. He said that he's been able to sit in the car and stare directly at the sun through the roof. Others around the Tesla store also told me that many people have got into the car to take a testdrive with a sunroof and didn't even notice there was glass there, because it blocks so much light.
Take it from someone who has owned a Model S through four Texas summers-- the glass roof is just not an issue.

We recently bought our car with the pano roof (sunroof, not the all glass) and even in that model the tinting and IR value on the overhead roof glass is pretty darn good. We've had some full sun, interior valley high 80s-90s already to test it out. We do like the idea of opening the sunroof though and bought the sunshade. Pops in easily, compacts down to a small size when you don't want it in and does I guess darken the interior a bit more but don't really feel like it is needed. We bought the sunshade so we could open the sunroof on occasion, get fresh air in and keep the major bugs out.

Tesla probably d/c-ed the metal roof because most people were getting pano or all glass. I doubt they would d/c an option the majority of people were getting. Looking at the spreadsheet seems to confirm this.

That being said, the model 3 is a totally different car. You're making wild assumptions on a car that hasn't been released yet. To cut costs, im sure they'll offer a body color roof. But even if they dont, removing a glass roof and installing a custom metal roof is such a laughable concept to me, i can't even fathom how outrageous that is. Having never sat in a glass roof tesla, you're making wild assumptions on how much hotter you think it'll be. I see from your locale you're in pennsylvania, just how hot exactly does it get there? lol. not as hot as louisiana i can promise you that (high 80s last week vs mid 40s for you), and i dont see any difference in heat in this car vs my other cars.

Watch a few youtube videos and do more research. a lot of people enjoy the glass roof because it increases the headroom available due to the lack of a b-pillar. This is a car that can be pre-cooled from your smartphone as well. i bought a sunshade cuz i thought i would need it, but turns out i never use it. i just flip on the a/c from my phone 10 minutes before i get into the car and whalla.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
I believe you. What about acoustics. I would think the alcantera ceiling would be more soundproof and have better interior sound deadening. Maybe that's why the base sound system sounds so good to some people and not others?

I'd think you've got more problems from sound on the side windows, windshield and rear window than the glass roof.

• Funny
Reactions: xyeahtony
Overall, the MS is not very kid-friendly. Child seats don't fit well. Rear headrests don't allow good top tether routing. Third row seats don't have proper ventilation (actually, no ventilation at all.) There is no rear armrest, which is a feature commonly found even on economy cars these days. And Tesla does not seem to care. They have made no incremental improvements to address any of these issues in the past five years.

DUDE. Um. Model X. Tesla doesn't NEED to improve the S for kids, they specifically designed and built a hauler for kids, it just so happens to be an X not an S. So glad Tesla hasn't polluted the beauty and design of the Model S to accommodate the needs of families with little kids, I truly love the look and feel of the lower/sleeker Model S. Our kids are old enough to get in/out of our Model S themselves, and it's perfect for them.

Watch this video, Tesla has done an amazing job at delivering a vehicle for families with kids.

Reactions: Canuck
DUDE. Um. Model X. Tesla doesn't NEED to improve the S for kids, they specifically designed and built a hauler for kids, it just so happens to be an X not an S. So glad Tesla hasn't polluted the beauty and design of the Model S to accommodate the needs of families with little kids, I truly love the look and feel of the lower/sleeker Model S. Our kids are old enough to get in/out of our Model S themselves, and it's perfect for them.

Watch this video, Tesla has done an amazing job at delivering a vehicle for families with kids.

My 3 year old adores my Model S. "Daddy, Xena is magic!". Her car seat fits fine and she loves the pano roof.

We recently bought our car with the pano roof (sunroof, not the all glass) and even in that model the tinting and IR value on the overhead roof glass is pretty darn good. We've had some full sun, interior valley high 80s-90s already to test it out. We do like the idea of opening the sunroof though and bought the sunshade. Pops in easily, compacts down to a small size when you don't want it in and does I guess darken the interior a bit more but don't really feel like it is needed. We bought the sunshade so we could open the sunroof on occasion, get fresh air in and keep the major bugs out.
That is pretty cool to know that the sunshade can stay in with the roof actually open, didn't know that. I will hold off on buying the shade though unless I figure out I really need it. I had to get a glass roof because my wife said the difference in head room is very tangible and would be welcome for adult passengers with the panoramic roof!