Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S cannot be ordered with a metal roof AT ALL now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DUDE. Um. Model X. Tesla doesn't NEED to improve the S for kids, they specifically designed and built a hauler for kids, it just so happens to be an X not an S. So glad Tesla hasn't polluted the beauty and design of the Model S to accommodate the needs of families with little kids, I truly love the look and feel of the lower/sleeker Model S. Our kids are old enough to get in/out of our Model S themselves, and it's perfect for them.

Watch this video, Tesla has done an amazing job at delivering a vehicle for families with kids.
I'm interested in the seat protector underneath the car seat she shows briefly at the beginning. I can figure out which one it is or where to buy it, but definitely need something like that. Was anyone able to figure it out from the video?

I was just on the Tesla website ordering page for the Model S, wondering when they will change ANYTHING on the Model 3 page.

As I was playing with the options, I noticed that now you cannot get a Model S with a metal roof AT ALL. There is no choice for it.

What is this obsession with glass roofs and sunroofs? Not everyone wants one! I want a solid metal roof on my Model 3, AND I want Sirius Satellite Radio! I do not want to pay extra for an option I don't even want!

I don't want the sun beating down on me in the car. I hate that, I don't care how tinted the glass is. I want to sit in my nice DARK cool interior with the AC blasting.

I guess if there were no way to order the car without a glass roof, I could take it to a custom body shop I know and have them cut out the glass roof and custom make me a metal roof, or at least put that wrapping stuff on the glass roof to cover it over. Or form a piece of sheet metal and RTV silicone it in place over the glass roof.

Have you tried it? The cars with the roof are hotter.

That is pretty cool to know that the sunshade can stay in with the roof actually open, didn't know that. I will hold off on buying the shade though unless I figure out I really need it. I had to get a glass roof because my wife said the difference in head room is very tangible and would be welcome for adult passengers with the panoramic roof!

We waited a month to see if we wanted/needed it, it is $150 so wanted to be sure it would get some use. We plan to get most of our use out of it on warm summer nights (we don't get a lot of mosquitos where we live but drive closer to the water and they're there along with other flying bugs). Otherwise you do feel the heat coming through the sunshade with the glass panel pulled open during a sunny day. The IR tinted glass does do its job. We sat in the front and back of all 3 roof styles before buying our S and with the solid roof really felt head cramped and we're not tall people. So I agree with your wife.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: raphy3
I'm interested in the seat protector underneath the car seat she shows briefly at the beginning. I can figure out which one it is or where to buy it, but definitely need something like that. Was anyone able to figure it out from the video?

By viewing the video on YouTube directly and clicking on their "show more", you'll see they shared all the products they referenced in the video. They provided the links too but specifically here's the Brica Seat protector they used: Amazon.com: Brica Seat Guardian Car Seat Protector: Baby

• Helpful
Reactions: raphy3
By viewing the video on YouTube directly and clicking on their "show more", you'll see they shared all the products they referenced in the video. They provided the links too but specifically here's the Brica Seat protector they used: Amazon.com: Brica Seat Guardian Car Seat Protector: Baby
Ahh, thanks for that. I have been looking at this brica so probably will get it and try it out. I hope it keeps the indentions out of the leather!

Reactions: SMAlset