TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Car Cover (Non-OEM Recommendations)

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by middly, Aug 11, 2015.

1. middly

middly Member

Hi Everyone,

So my company just installed some L2 (Clipper Brand charging stations) that are "free" for employees to use until a policy comes out otherwise, yay!

The downside will be parking my baby out in the sun. Now, yes, I can spend $450 on the Tesla outdoor cover but quite frankly I must justify that cost by making sure there isn't anything of SIMILAR quality for less than $450. Maybe there isn't, and I'm good with that, but just thought I'd ask if anyone had any recommendations. The only hard requirement is that it has an elastic band; it's not windy here, so I don't need to strap it down.

Thanks in advance!

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Covering it may do more harm than good. Unless you wash it immediately before covering it, car covers trap the dirt and causes scratches. Your money may be better spent seeing a detailer for C-Quartz coating or something similar.

3. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

#3 Drucifer, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    I got the 5 layer cover for about $150 (including storage bag) from here. It does the job pretty well and fits well too. It has elastic around the bumpers, so strapping the undercarriage straps isn't really necessary.

I park outside and never use the cover unless I am taking an airline trip of 3 days or more (and then I wash the car before covering it, so I come back to a clean car)

I also did cQuartz and have factory paint armor as well.

2013 Tesla Model S CAR Cover - Buy 2013 Tesla Model S CAR Cover at Low Prices

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Never cover a car unless it's really clean, otherwise the cover picks up dirt which scratches the paint, etc., etc, etc. And the Tesla outdoor cover is very bulky and will be impossible to wash in a home washing machine. I have one, and it's great and fits perfectly, but I only use it when I have just thoroughly cleaned the car.