Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Car Of The Year in Norway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reason the VAT hasn’t been removed for EVs in Sweden is probably spelled “Volvo Cars”. And it probably doesn’t help that Saab – currently on life support, and in a severe coma – will be attempting an ICE-propelled comeback shortly. And on top of that our former industrial crown jewel Scania, the truck manufacturer, is owned by Volkswagen…, so it wouldn’t surprise me if there’s been some heavy German lobbying on our current right wing administration. And finally: that right wing part probably doesn’t help either, since in their view everything that isn’t a pure unregulated market solution constitutes the absolutely most severe form of heresy and is figuratively punishable by spanking…

Last edited:
But is it really a subsidy?

As I understand it (and in addition to what Austin said above), it’s just that in Norway they removed the VAT on the Tesla. And added an extra progressive tax on large, heavy gas-guzzlers. I think removing the VAT for EVs is great. If Sweden also removed the VAT on EVs, I could actually ‘sell’ a Model S to some relatives of mine…

Well in Estonia it's a subsidy. I paid for my Model S and yesterday they transferred to my bank account 18 000 eur. And as I purchase as a company from Tesla inside EU I didn't have to pay VAT so I got the car without VAT and got the 18 000 subsidy. If I had bought inside Estonia I would have had to pay VAT though I could have requested it back from the state or balance it out with sales over the next months. In any case for a company VAT shouldn't matter. If you purchase it as a private citizen, then that's another matter, but at times it may be well worth just to create a company to get rid of VAT ;)

Does anyone know what the wait time in Norway currently is? Also, any history of deliveries per month?

I remember seeing something when people were trying to make Q3 delivery estimates..

Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The vehicle registration data for November was released earlier today. 527 new Tesla Model S' were registered in November, this makes the Model S the second most popular car with a market share of 4,4%. The most popular cars were:
VW Golf - 666 (It's official, the Golf IS the devil :wink:)
Tesla Model S - 527
Toyota Auris - 525
Skoda Octavia - 524
Nissan Leaf - 512

EVs made up 11,9% of new car registrations for this month, I believe this is a new record. In addition hybrids made up another 8,9%.

As for the Tesla Model S, at the end of November there were 1.433 new Model S' registered in Norway. Cars that have previously been registered in another country are tracked separately so this number does not include the small number of used cars imported from the US. It does however include Teslas demo cars. For convenience I include the new car registration numbers for previous months below:

March: 1
April: 1
July: 5
August: 185
September: 616
October: 98
November: 527
Total: 1.433

Let me reiterate and clarify my question:

What happened in October with Tesla deliveries?

Great question, same question here.

If you look at the data from Eikrokei, only 98 Model S were delivered in October.
Supply and demand, perhaps Fremont cannot keep up with the Norwegian's "need for speed".
IF somehow December's supply be augmented (need about 570 more), Norway would hit 2,000 Model S for 2013, AND projecting further out -- probably could easily deliver 6,000 Model S in 2014.

Maybe deliveries in other EU countries are constraining Norway?
Would anyone have any conclusive data for total EU shipments and WHERE they are being delivered?

Great question, same question here.

If you look at the data from Eikrokei, only 98 Model S were delivered in October.
Supply and demand, perhaps Fremont cannot keep up with the Norwegian's "need for speed".
IF somehow December's supply be augmented (need about 570 more), Norway would hit 2,000 Model S for 2013, AND projecting further out -- probably could easily deliver 6,000 Model S in 2014.

Maybe deliveries in other EU countries are constraining Norway?
Would anyone have any conclusive data for total EU shipments and WHERE they are being delivered?

This was probably due to "end of the quarter dash" from Tesla, and batching in the factory. They simply routed quite a bit of the July/August Production to EU spec. cars and especially for Norway and Switzerland (both outside of the EU) since those two countries had a lot of orders and since those cars could be shipped directly, bypassing the Assembly center in Tilburg, which was not quite running at full speed by that time. The for september manufacturing they again had to commit more to the US to keep up with demand there. This has been smart PR wise and otherwise - now they have cars delivered here, but the wait also in a way makes i attractive. Also, they now get reports from owners on charging problems With Our European grid etc. that they can sort out before they deliver even more cars. Also they had trouble with their supply of Winter tires and it's not really possible to deliver a car here in Winter With only summer tires, buyers have had to get 3rd party tires and Wheels which has worked out OK but probably not how Tesla wish things to go.

Deliveries in Norway will pick up substantially from January, all according to other's delivery estimates.