TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model S catches fire in UK, 2 months after minor fender bender

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Az_Rael, Mar 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Tesla Model S caught on fire in Manchester, Tesla says cause is due to a crash 2 months before the fire

Wow, I wouldn't have thought such a minor crash would cause an issue like this. Especially after being repaired. I remember there was a Volt that caught fire early on after being rear ended, but it happened before repairs were done and it was caused by the 12V battery. Chevy changed the design of the rear carpets after that to help prevent it from happening again.

I wonder if Tesla will make any changes in this case, or if the insurance try to pursue damages since they disagreed about the cause of the fire.

2. JonG

JonG Member

The various UK forums are getting a bit agitated. It wasn't even just a repair, it was at an approved Tesla repair shop yet Tesla don't particularly want to be held responsible. I imagine its the same everywhere, repairs are frighteningly expensive for even minor knocks like that as they seemed to replace everything they can think of.

3. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

Then there's the Shanghai car that caught fire while parked at a SC but NOT charging.......wow, what's with that? Hopefully not fellow Tesla driver warfare. :eek:

4. Muhammad

Muhammad Member

I'm more inclined to think this may have been the fault of the body shops repair job rather than the crash itself.

5. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

This is why Tesla is paranoid about the integrity of repairs. The stakes are very high and these incidents receive disproportionate coverage vs comparable ICE incidents.

• Like x 3
  6. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

BMS condenser? Behind front bumper?

Is that the condenser coils for the HVAC system which in turn provides thermal mgm't for the pack?

7. xborg

xborg Member

This is ridiculous.
    How come they don't own the incident?
    This is a car under warranty, and repaired in a approved body shop.

• Like x 1
  8. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

This is part of the reason I'm concerned about them being so strict with mandating that repairs must be made at their certified shops. Either you have to take it to a specific shop and they certify the work, or you allow repairs anywhere and disclaim responsibility.

It's hard for me to understand how you can mandate repairs at a certified shop and then disclaim any responsibility when the shop you mandated I visit fails to repair the vehicle correctly. I had no other option but to have the vehicle repaired there, and the whole point of certifying shops was ostensibly to avoid this exact situation.

• Like x 2
  9. Max*

Max* Banned

Can't wait for the Model 3's to start catching fire...

10. JonG

JonG Member

There's a further twist, the articles been updated reminding everyone of a tweet from Musk saying cars would be warrantied for fire damage, something the dealership don't seem to be honouring.

11. anonim1979

anonim1979 Member

#11 anonim1979, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Well you might look for ICE cars in the meantime.
    They seem to catch fire a lot more frequently...

"About 17 cars catch fire every hour in the United States."
    "U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated average of 152,300 automobile fires per year in 2006-2010. These fires caused an average of 209 civilian deaths, 764 civilian injuries"
    Vehicles

Currently there are 253 million cars and light trucks on US roads and in 2015 there were 174,000 vehicle fires reported. That's 0.69 vehicle fires per 1000 on the road. The number of car fires per year have been declining there were 456,000 fires in 1980
    NFPA statistics - Highway vehicle fires by year

Teslas seem to have boringly low "catch fire" rate to their numbers...
    I don't expect that simpler Model 3 (only half of the wires/computers from the Model S) will be more flammable. ;P
    Tesla Crash in Indy

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. geometro

geometro Member

^ This

13. Btr_ftw

Btr_ftw Court Jester

There is something deeper here. Most of the cars I've seen seem to catch fire on that side. My blue fire car started in the front driver side of the car as well

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

This is a bit worrying.

15. odguy

odguy Member

16. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Seems to me Tesla has said publicly this is covered under warranty... Yes, Elon's blog post on Tesla's website counts as saying it publicly. Therefore, there is no way Tesla can renege on this without a subsequent announcement the policy had changed which there was none.

Tesla, time to honor your warranty. Simple as that...

Some of this crap over the last year with Tesla is really getting to be embarrassing. Does Tesla no longer have any integrity?

Jeff

• Like x 2
  17. geometro

geometro Member

Yes, this counts and I can't understand where the gray area is...

Third, to reinforce how strongly we feel about the low risk of fire in our cars, we will be amending our warranty policy to cover damage due to a fire, even if due to driver error. Unless a Model S owner actively tries to destroy the car, they are covered. Our goal here is to eliminate any concern about the cost of such an event and ensure that over time the Model S has the lowest insurance cost of any car at our price point. Either our belief in the safety of our car is correct and this is a minor cost or we are wrong, in which case the right thing is for Tesla to bear the cost rather than the car buyer.

18. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Maybe that policy only covers the US.

19. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

What does the warranty say? Does it mention fires? Does it strictly refer to battery fires?

20. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I find it alarming for two reason.

The first reason is as an engineer I see it simply as a design deficiency. Which isn't unheard of as it happens a lot with cars. After all they're complicated pieces of machinery that the owners play bumper cars with. To me it seems like Tesla isn't taking the level of responsibility to it that I would normally expect.

The second reason is Elon specifically said this kind of thing would be warranted. With Tesla Elon seems to play it pretty loose with promises, and it's time he demonstrated that they would back up what he says.

At some point someone is going to confront him on it so it should be interesting to see how he plays it.