Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S CCS upgrade done (UK)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So today I had the CCS adapter upgrade fitted to my 2014 Model S AP1.

Unfortunately it didn’t go well, the job went perfectly but then this happened when I tried to charge using CCS :-(

Not good.....
Supercharging still works, I even tried the adaptor at a dual CCS / type 2 supercharging station - same error....

Looks like another call to Tesla

Attachments

• 7BB7E57B-F6A5-4236-8FCC-76F4892F72D6.jpeg
    7BB7E57B-F6A5-4236-8FCC-76F4892F72D6.jpeg
    382.1 KB · Views: 1,532
the update arrived about 2 hours before they did. They installed the upgraded hardware and supplied the physical CCS to type 2 adaptor and updated the vehicle.

Clearly something is not right :-(

I am impress by the size difference between the CCS and the CHAdeMO adaptor.

06B8E033-D46F-4F47-A279-8A75FFB8D7F3.jpeg

Unfortunately it didn’t go well, the job went perfectly but then this happened when I tried to charge using CCS :-(

Not good.....
Supercharging still works, I even tried the adaptor at a dual CCS / type 2 supercharging station - same error....

Put of curiosity, did you have to call them to arrange it or did you simply schedule a service from the app?

Not good.....

Sorry for the obvious suggestion: Did you try rebooting the car?

Put of curiosity, did you have to call them to arrange it or did you simply schedule a service from the app?
I did it via the app, then they phoned to cancel as it wasn’t available.
It was only when I went in to the SC looking at a Chademo adapter they said it was now ready (but didn’t contact me)

How much does it cost?
It’s £425 inc vat all in

They are coming on Wednesday to get it working as it’s now been 3 weeks since the install as it still says “DC charging hardware not enabled”

• Informative
Reactions: Nosken
All done and fixed. Turns out that DC fast charging wasn’t enabled on my car - only supercharging. So I couldn’t have used a CHAdeMO adaptor or CCS adaptor.

All working now, on a 50kw charger started at 36kw at 30%, looked like there was a limit of 116amps but the voltage steadily increased.
Went from 314v @ 30% to 325v at 45%

78340D60-5FB7-4A4B-9D4D-664718A4176D.jpeg
8757553F-BF93-4DA8-8031-6F44EFCD997D.jpeg

I'm thinking of buying a used Model S which has Free Supercharging for life and it is eligible to be transferred over to the new owner(me).
Just want to check if "Free Supercharging" is inclusive of "DC Fast Charging" ?
i.e. will I have to pay for 'DC Fast Charging' even though my car has "Free Supercharging for life" in cases where I charge using the CCS Adapter

I'm thinking of buying a used Model S which has Free Supercharging for life and it is eligible to be transferred over to the new owner(me).
Just want to check if "Free Supercharging" is inclusive of "DC Fast Charging" ?
i.e. will I have to pay for 'DC Fast Charging' even though my car has "Free Supercharging for life" in cases where I charge using the CCS Adapter

The terminology can be confusing:
  • CCS is an industry standard for DC Fast Charging
  • CHAdeMO is another (older, lower power) DC Fast Charging standard
  • Supercharging is a Tesla proprietary DC Fast Charging system
  • Type 2 is a slow AC charging standard
DC Fast Charging itself is a generic term that means what it says, but in the error message in the instrument display it specifically means non-Supercharging DC Fast Charging.

When you have free Supercharging, it is access to Tesla's Supercharger network that's free; this network is owned and operated by Tesla. Charging at other networks (which all have no relationship with Tesla) will be subject to each network's own terms.

Hi guys so i own 2 x model S and a model X, and there is a new supercharger open now in Amesbury which will only charge vehicles via CCS, non of my cars have this as they are 2014, 2015 & 2017 models, what is the most cost effective way to get CCS done? Can i use an adapter like chademo so can buy it once and use for all the cars as and wheb? Or would i need to get each car retrofitted? Finally i have placed an order for the roadster over 2 years ago, does anyone have any news on when we are ever likely to get hold of one, ive been told another 2 years??

Hi guys so i own 2 x model S and a model X, and there is a new supercharger open now in Amesbury which will only charge vehicles via CCS, non of my cars have this as they are 2014, 2015 & 2017 models, what is the most cost effective way to get CCS done? Can i use an adapter like chademo so can buy it once and use for all the cars as and wheb? Or would i need to get each car retrofitted? Finally i have placed an order for the roadster over 2 years ago, does anyone have any news on when we are ever likely to get hold of one, ive been told another 2 years??
Getting the upgrade done by Tesla is the only way to go. Price has gone done since OP did it, it was 299€ in Nov. 2020 when I did it in France.