Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Charge Modes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being able to set the charging current is nice, but more importantly, can you program a charging schedule?

At this time, I think you can program a start time for the charge similar to the Roadster. People have been asking for them to allow you to program an end time for the charge and the Model S would figure out when to start. I haven't seen anything yet that they've added this feature yet.

As we've discussed elsewhere, it'd be great to have some programmed smarts about charging. The car should know (a) when off-peak rates are in effect and (b) my "normal" patterns. Absent any instruction from me to the contrary, the car will then make sure it's fully charged in Normal mode a little before my normal departure time, avoiding power use during on-peak periods. There's a lot more sophistication that could be built in (e.g., interaction with an on-site PV array, communication with other major power-draw appliances in the house, monitoring wholesale energy prices, etc.) but just that simple adaptive expectations function would be super.

Yeah, I'd love my Tesla to be able to detect how much excess power my solar panels are producing; I'm in a position where I get more value out of my solar energy by using it myself and not feeding back to the grid (well, about .5¢/kWh difference). And then I could truly say I'm powering it 100% on solar. Not that hydro is bad, but .5¢ adds up over time ;)

dialing up and down the charger, gets your car charging automaticly faster or slower! (via pilotsignal)
i know one manufacturer is already developing this to connect to a solararray.
I only got to know they work on it, but do not know more!

how much does one loose by using range mode?

If it is so much that one should use it only rarely, then it might make sense to have an intermediate mode. Standard mode for daily use where one needs much less than the available range, and wants to stress the battery not at all, and the intermediate mode which one uses when one would like to have as much range as is possible but with only a slight effect on the battery, and range mode for exceptional cases maybe 2-3 times a year.

You can always interrupt a range mode charging session at the desired SOC. You have to weigh the possible beneficial impact on your battery versus practicality. I'd say, most folks will charge in range mode when needed and not waste a second thought or a move of the hand on it.

So it seems there is indeed a range mode? I thought I remember there being talk about the Model S not needing 2 charging/driving options.
The Roadster has 4 modes: Standard, Range, Storage, Performance. What was talked about here was that they were going to simplify to just Standard and Range. This is common in EVs today - I know the Leaf does it this way. We will likely see 2 modes until battery technology changes such that it is no longer needed. Standard hides the top and bottom 10-15% of the battery where degradation happens the fastest. Use that for every day. If you need to go on a trip charge (and drive) in Range mode to gain access to the whole pack. Else you can use it as a reserve (like motorcycles used to have w/ the petcock on the tank). Charge and drive in Standard but if you find yourself needing 30 or so extra miles switch to Range mode and you can use the bottom of the pack.

I thought the "mode" is only set when charging, not driving?

In the Roadster, you can change modes while driving. For example from Standard to Performance or Range mode. As strider said, charing in standard mode and driving in standard model down to 'empty', then switching to Range mode, will unlock an additional 30 ideal miles or so. If you charged in Range mode, 'empty' really is empty.

Last edited:
Does range mode also slow the car's performance down to conserve energy?
It does in the Roadster so I would assume it would in Model S as well.

It does (on the roadster) also dial back the power, to the extent that a Maserati will barely beat you off the line. So of course I switched to performance mode and annoyed him very much at the next lights. This was on the way to Fashion Valley on Sunday.

I'm confused. Does Performance mode mean faster or slower acceleration?

I'm confused. Does Performance mode mean faster or slower acceleration?
He was driving in Range mode and was power limited so he switched to Performance mode to take the electronic shackles off. I find Performance mode annoying in the Roadster as if you need the power you have to tap the VDS twice or turn the key to "start" (it lets the batteries run hotter so you shouldn't drive in that mode all the time). I'm glad they eliminated this in Model S.

Crossposting from the News section:
Not sure if this has been posted on TMC so cross posting from the TM boards.
Rod and Barbara who took delivery of their Founders car a while ago have confirmed the Model S does not have a Storage mode, only Standard and Max. Link to their post

Rod and Barbara | August 30, 2012
Butch asked on Aug 18 if the Model S has a Storage mode of charging like the Roadster. The Model S Guide for Owners and the touch screen only have two charging levels: Standard (85% of battery capacity) and Max Range (100% of battery capacity). We checked with the Tesla Ownership Experience team and they confirmed there is no Storage mode. If the Model S is to be left unattended for a prolonged time period it is supposed to connected and charged in Standard mode.

So, time to verify: you *can set the amps pulled*, correct?

So if I get an HPWC and install a 100 amp breaker, I can still set the car to charge at 40 amps, or 30 amps, so that I can use all the other high-juice equipment in my house and not overload the *main* breaker (which is 200 amps)? And then I can set the car to fast charging if I happen to need it (and turn off the air conditioning, dryer, range, etc while I do so?)

So if I get an HPWC and install a 100 amp breaker, I can still set the car to charge at 40 amps, or 30 amps, so that I can use all the other high-juice equipment in my house and not overload the *main* breaker (which is 200 amps)? And then I can set the car to fast charging if I happen to need it (and turn off the air conditioning, dryer, range, etc while I do so?)

Talk to a licensed electrician first. There are code requirements concerning how many circuits and how much load can be added to your main service. With a 200 amp main and a 100 amp sub in the garage, you may still be okay.

So, time to verify: you *can set the amps pulled*, correct?

Yes. You can set the car to charge at a rate less than or equal to the maximum allowed by the connection (The HPWC will assume full 20kW while the UMC will base it on the plug you're using, 14-50 vs 6-30 or whatever).