Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Charge Port doesn't pop open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2014 Model S that has an issues with the charge port unlocking correctly, but not popping open. When I unlock the charge port it clicks, but doesn't pop open by itself. I have to give it a gentle bump on the reflector to pop it open with my hand. I've heard that replacing the assembly that automatically opens and closes the charge port is fairly easy to replace, and I'm hoping someone on here has a link to videos or documentation for replacing that assembly. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I have a 2014 Model S that has an issues with the charge port unlocking correctly, but not popping open. When I unlock the charge port it clicks, but doesn't pop open by itself. I have to give it a gentle bump on the reflector to pop it open with my hand. I've heard that replacing the assembly that automatically opens and closes the charge port is fairly easy to replace, and I'm hoping someone on here has a link to videos or documentation for replacing that assembly. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Try turning and adjusting the rubber stopper the cover mates to. It should be flush with the car, but many don’t know that this is adjustable. It might help it pop open if it is out more.

For 9 months I've had the same issue with my 2014 Model S. Tesla says $700 to repair. To be honest, I have gotten so used to just pressing on the right-side to pop it open that it now feels like it's the normal way to operate it. I knew when I bought this car that all these "cool" auto/moving features would just end up being a costly repair job. I say this as someone who has replaced 4 door handles after warranty. I'm shocked my auto present/retract side mirrors are still functioning.

I have been encountering this same problem sporadically for the past nine months. I did not know that the rubber stopper was adjustable. After spinning it outwards today, the cover now pops open easily...…..a simple fix...….Thank you.

Reactions: Buster1
I have been encountering this same problem sporadically for the past nine months. I did not know that the rubber stopper was adjustable. After spinning it outwards today, the cover now pops open easily...…..a simple fix...….Thank you.

Well then hit that informative/helpful/like button so I can get my TMC Xmas bonus. :D