Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Charge Port Location Poll

Would you like the option of having the Model-S charge port on the passenger side?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the revelation that Tesla is listening to Reservation holder requests

"We listened to your requests and I’m pleased to announce that Model S Regen will be adjustable. You can adjust Regen to suit your driving style." George Blankenship, Vice President, Worldwide Sales and Ownership Experience​

I would like to take a poll to find how many people would be interested in having an option to have the charge port available on the passenger side.

Would you like the option of having the Model-S charge port on the passenger side of the car?

This is one of those things that I'd never campaign for (heck, I almost didn't vote), but if I had to answer, then yes, I'd like the option. When I heard of the "twin onboard chargers" I thought that meant there was a charge port on either side. I don't think it'll matter, but I'm used to fueling on the passenger side and the way I park, it'll likely be a better location -- but again, I don't foresee it being an issue.

If there'd been a poll in the beginning I probably would've voted passenger side (or both sides), but meh. If you asked people "which side do you want your fuel door" on a traditional vehicle, how many would care? In the grand scheme: does it matter?

Note that on the roadster the charge port is _not_ on the driver's side. It is on the left side. The driver's side may move, depending on where the car is sold.

Great point. I think both sides would be nice but they need to get the car shipped first. Maybe with Model S 2.0, they can think to add that if it isn't too expensive for them to do.

<sarcasm> As much as I love polls </sarcasm>, who wouldn't want the option of having a charge port on both sides? But really that ship has sailed (at least for this production year), so this poll is moot.

Also we've already gone over the various preferences for the charge port location in this thread: Where's the charging port?

I don't. I park in my garage. I totally don't care. Front, back, left, right, I don't care.
However, if I had to street park and charge my car, and Tesla promised that next model year they would let me choose a different location for the charge port, I would wait.
The vast majority of early adopters probably have garages, but Tesla should think hard about dealing with this in the future.

The downside to all of Tesla's car having the charge port on the same side is parking them side by side in a garage means one of them is going to be a hike around the car unless you back one in. (without a ceiling or floor mount).

A good idea would have been to include a charge port on both sides for those who choose a dual charger option. That way charging from dual outlets would be possible. An HPC is a nice idea and all, but home is where charge speed matters the least. It's too late now to add any of this as Tesla better be focused on production and delivery and not last minute redesigns.