Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Charge Port Location Poll

Would you like the option of having the Model-S charge port on the passenger side?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A good idea would have been to include a charge port on both sides for those who choose a dual charger option. That way charging from dual outlets would be possible. An HPC is a nice idea and all, but home is where charge speed matters the least. It's too late now to add any of this as Tesla better be focused on production and delivery and not last minute redesigns.

That would not be so, as they would be wired together not to separate chargers. They could be, but that would defeat the purpose of getting 20 kw ability.

A good idea would have been to include a charge port on both sides for those who choose a dual charger option. That way charging from dual outlets would be possible. An HPC is a nice idea and all, but home is where charge speed matters the least. It's too late now to add any of this as Tesla better be focused on production and delivery and not last minute redesigns.
That would not be so, as they would be wired together not to separate chargers. They could be, but that would defeat the purpose of getting 20 kw ability.
Actually, wired separately would be a reason I would opt for the 20kW charging - that way I could potentially feed off 2 separate 50amp circuits to get 62 miles vs 31 miles per hour charging , without requiring campgrounds to get a dedicated evse.

Configurable for which side would have been nice. I park on the right side of the garage, so a left side charge port means the port is facing the center of the garage rather than the socket on the wall.

Just think of this as the first section in the "Wishlist for S 2.0" thread. I think it will depend on whether owners feel safe and comfortable with public street recharging (as opposed to office-parking-lot + home + private business parking lot)

+1 on this idea, dual charge ports would work very well in Norway where we have a lot of public 230V 16A charging sockets. I' d need two UMCs of course, but with 7.4kW of power it is worth it compared to 3.7kW.

If I had to choose where to put the charge port though, I would prefer front center like the Leaf. Behind the nose cone would be nice, and there would be space for a CHAdeMO connector too.

I am probably the only one, but I do NOT want a nose charge location.

I back into my garage, and leave my nose VERY close to the door so I have usable room in my garage (most of which is going to get eaten up by the Model S anyway). It would be a pain in the ass to charge at home if you back in.

Right now my gas port is on the right side, so it will be different. But so will be not going to the gas station.

I back into my garage, and leave my nose VERY close to the door so I have usable room in my garage (most of which is going to get eaten up by the Model S anyway). It would be a pain in the ass to charge at home if you back in.

Right now my gas port is on the right side, so it will be different. But so will be not going to the gas station.

I am with you, I don't back in but my garage is on the short side so it will be a tight fit in the front and back.

I respectfully disagree. You are not defeating the purpose of the 20kw ability when you can charge from any two outlets at the same time essentially halving your charging time. I have been paying attention to what outlets are available wherever I go for the past year, and most places that have a nema 14-50 have more than one. The same goes for other types of outlets. With Tesla focusing on supercharger installs, the only place you will be able to find hpc's will be private residences or your own home if you purchase one. Most roadster HPC owners don't charge at the full 70 amps at home ever. Why would the model s be any different? So if one gets the hpc($1200)+the extra charger($1500), the only place that they will be able to get double the charge will most likely be at home, where they least need it. This makes absolutely no sense to me.

You're not the only one :smile: Actually, it would be very hard to make a nose port anyway because there would have to be a cable the length of the car somewhere. The middle of the trunk would make more sense except that it would really limit rear access. I like the current location, but there should be a port on each side. Even if you had to have a manual switch to use one or the other. (Think wing tank on an airplane).

I had a nema 15-40 plug installed in center of roof in garage. Using an old wood wine box to hold the line tester / converter. Then I wrap over gararge door opener.
Its great as its up and out of the way. RIght where I want it for one handed plugin (if needed)
garage.jpg

Sorry for crappy pic:rolleyes: I just snapped pic to give concept.
I had same problem as others in this thread. Left side wall is way too far and inconvient for charging plug. So I thought right side parking for my roadster and then the thought of stretching cord behind car was less than optimal. The roof top plug then became the best idea. 3 years of use, I love it. Its up and out of the way and right there for grab and plug.

The details of setup for charging can be part of the build up of expectation. With the Roadster UMCs and HPC's were shipped before vehicle delivery so you have time for the electrical work at home. Has anyone got a UMC 2 yet? What kind of lead time has been mentioned? It strikes me that these items might be the first sign of Model S product being shipped.

The car is in production.

So, you're telling me that Tesla can flip the the entire driver's side of the car for European and Asian markets but flipping the charge port is out of the question?

"In mid-2013 we plan to begin delivering the right-hand drive Model S for Europe and Asia."

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/quick-update-model-s

I find it interesting how many different points of view there on just this issue alone. It must be maddening to make a car with such a picky audience. :)

Thanks for everyone's input. I enjoyed reading people's thoughts on the matter.