Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Charge Port Location Poll

Would you like the option of having the Model-S charge port on the passenger side?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, you're telling me that Tesla can flip the the entire driver's side of the car for European and Asian markets but flipping the charge port is out of the question?

"In mid-2013 we plan to begin delivering the right-hand drive Model S for Europe and Asia."

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/quick-update-model-s

I find it interesting how many different points of view there on just this issue alone. It must be maddening to make a car with such a picky audience. :)

Thanks for everyone's input. I enjoyed reading people's thoughts on the matter.

To be fair, your first post made no mention of this. Had you said "flip the charge port for the homologation of the European market", that would be one thing. I think Bonnie's point is that for the US market, the charger is set where it is (at least for now). This isn't something like factory videos, an east coast showing or option pricing that Tesla can listen to customers and change/deliver on a whim.

I agree though, I feel for Tesla. They provide no info there's complaints, they do provide info, then there's endless nitpicking over what they did or didn't talk about.

I agree though, I feel for Tesla. They provide no info there's complaints, they do provide info, then there's endless nitpicking over what they did or didn't talk about.

+1. Still, for $80 to $100, close-to-perfection is expected. All too often it seems as though the designers never thought about how people would actually use their products. (Think cellphones until Apple showed the world what a cellphone could be like).

Putting the charge door so that it's convenient for the owner is one of those details that really shouldn't have been overlooked. And if we're talking about curbside parking, which has been shown in other threads, it's a safety issue. With the plug and cord sticking out a few inches into the street it's far too easy for a passing car to hit it. Before I started parking the Prius with the mirror folded, cars hit it frequently--at least once the neighbour across the street purchased an F350 (dual rear tires)--never had a problem before that. In my area they don't give tickets for parking facing the wrong direction--even thought it's technically illegal--but in many places they do, so parking backwards is not an option for many.

You're right Jerry, and honestly, before this thread, I'd never considered what street-side charging would be like. I've always pictured garage charging and charging stations where you pull straight in (or in the case of the S, back into). In light of that, it does seem a design flaw.

I still maintain one for each side would be perfect.

This discussion seems absurd to me, but I've never seen a charge station on a public road with parallel parking..... Can someone confirm the situation really exists?

Charge ports on both sides seems nice to have but in >1 year with my Roadster I've never has need for a port on the passenger side.

The charge cable's long enough to drape on the ground behind the car, right? So it may not be ideal, but I don't see it as a big deal either, even with charging and parallel street parking.

As long as no one bumps into the plug that sticks out from the car and into the roadway. That could just about ruin your whole day--or at least the morning.

Anyone that paranoid probably has a few dings and now knows that people, particularly high school kids with car, aren't that careful of other folk's items.:crying:

Ain't that the truth. Surveyed my car today after the overnight trip into NY and we've got 4 new battle scars. I hate driving in the city, and my poor vehicles hate parking as well. There's no one there to defend them from the carelessness of others.

This discussion seems absurd to me, but I've never seen a charge station on a public road with parallel parking..... Can someone confirm the situation really exists?

There's loads of them in Oslo, Norway:

http://www.ladestasjoner.no/2011/12/st-olavs-gate-oslo.html
http://www.ladestasjoner.no/2010/06/frognerveien-oslo.html
http://www.ladestasjoner.no/2012/01/trondheimsveien-84-oslo.html

I'd even say most of them are like that. But it's not illegal to park the other way here, just a hassle and sometimes impossible (if there's a center divider in the road).

There are (and will be more) curbside chargers for spots that require parallel parking installed in cities, kind of like parking meters.

3467034850_7d79e7fa85.jpg
curbsidechargingwashingtondc.jpg

Here's a Roadster parked in the UK, where the charge port ends up being on the correct side of the car.

3173164795_05be9bf4f5_o.jpg

The Roadster port is rather inset from the outer body of the car, but the Model S port is right at the edge of the body. I imagine that if you have to use the expected J-1772 adapter, the plug will protrude out from the car quite a bit (unless they design it with a right angle). The times I've brought up the charge port location wrt to street side charging, the response I've gotten for Tesla folks is that they don't expect the average Model S customer to use public charging.

As a bonus here's a video about curbside charging being installed in Washington, DC (my home town). If you pay attention, you'll notice how they park the Volt against traffic so that the charge port will face the curb. Last I remember parallel parking against traffic was illegal in DC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XywLNQBC5E8

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine that if you have to use the expected J-1772 adapter, the plug will protrude out from the car quite a bit (unless they design it with a right angle). The times I've brought up the charge port location wrt to street side charging, the response I've gotten for Tesla folks is that they don't expect the average Model S customer to use public charging.

Uhh... WHAT? Of course I'll use public charging when I'm traveling. They may put Superchargers on the 401, but once I'm in the destination city I'm still gonna need power!