Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Charge port Opener (from outside the car)

ldubois

Jun 18, 2014
Belgium
Hi,

As I don't use the mobile connector but type2 cable (hence not port opener on the cable), I have been looking for a solution to open the charge port from outside the car and found this Tesla Model S Open Charge Port Afstandsbediening - YouTube

http://www.laadkabelwinkel.nl/tesla-model-s-open-charge-port

Unfortunately, they seem to have stop the production of this opener gadget/tool.
Anyone has found a similar tool/device to open the charge port?

PS: I know there is a possibility from the App, but find it not so convenient and too slow.:rolleyes:

Thanks!
Laurent from Belgium

Xander

Mar 18, 2014
Turnhout, Belgium
I wish I could unlock the charge port from the outside. Every morning, I have to get in the car and unlock the charge cable and then get back out of the car to remove it. Annoying. It can't even be done with the app.

maxwells

P85 43796
Apr 19, 2014
San Francisco
I wish I could unlock the charge port from the outside. Every morning, I have to get in the car and unlock the charge cable and then get back out of the car to remove it. Annoying. It can't even be done with the app.

It can be done in the app. On the Charge tab, look for the button in the top right corner.

Last edited:

invisik

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Mar 13, 2014
Minneapolis
I am not familiar with the type2 euro plug (and couldn't quickly find a good picture of one online). Here's something I learned about using a J1772 with the Tesla adapter at my office charger and I think someone else posted something similar here.

When the car is charging and I want to unplug it:

1. Open drivers door
2. Press button on J1772 handle to release it---The car clicks to release the charge cable when I press the button
3. Quickly remove the adapter and handle together from the car

Maybe a similar procedure will work for your charge cable.

-m

stevezzzz

R;SigS;P85D;SigX;S90D;XP100D;3LR;YLR
Nov 13, 2009
Colorado
It's certainly possible on the US cars. It takes a bit of force, but you just need to hit the charge port door on the back edge, aft of the hinge, like wcalvin said.

I tried this on my car and the adhesive failed, leaving the charge port door magnet attached to the car-side magnet. Oh, well, it was worth a try...

Fuzzylogic

Roadster Sport 2.5 & S100D
Jun 23, 2009
The Netherlands
I used to sell the Open chargeport remotes, but in the end it took a lot of time to produce and ship them.
I made the project open source, so if you want you can build your own.

There are two versions, one based on a PIC microcontroller + a 433 Mhz transmitter module.
Or the more professional one (the one from the video) based on the Si4010 chip.

Anyway, all the information is available here:

mstegen/Open-Chargeport · GitHub

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC