Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S charge port pin deadfront

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2013 Model S has a broken deadfront on one of the charging pins. It now only allows charging at 16 amps (rather than 40 amps), and we live ~200 miles from the nearest service center.

I know with the M3 they could just replace them, but I haven't seen anything regarding the S. I don't want to completely replace the entire charge port (to the tune of about $900), and the deadfront looks like a piece of plastic that could be replaced. I've seen several other threads with this discussion, but the only "solution" I could find for the S was to buy a (used) charge port and replace the entire pin (which I am not a big fan of due to the HV).

Any experience or help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2678.jpg
    IMG_2678.jpg
    661.6 KB · Views: 212
My 2013 Model S has a broken deadfront on one of the charging pins. [...] I know with the M3 they could just replace them, but I haven't seen anything regarding the S.
Well that was an issue that was discovered and was being repaired on the S since before the Model 3 came along. They have a service bulletin for it, and it's a quick and easy fix that I don't think involves replacing the whole charge port.

It now only allows charging at 16 amps (rather than 40 amps),
This one I think is indicating that the plug isn't going all the way in, so it can't latch the locking pin into the handle. Look inside the plug handle, and you'll probably see that black plastic ring that is broken off jammed inside one of the holes in the plug. People have found a few tricks to get it out.

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors