Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S charging @ only 16 amps on 40 Amp, 240 Volt Circuit => Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am charging only 24/24 A. The battery is probably a little cold, but I have charged on other cold days and it goes to 32/32 A immediately. I was driving the vehicle and regen braking initially was disabled, but after 10 minutes, was enabled, so the battery was warmed up a little bit, but not enough for full regen braking.

I did something a little different this time when I plugged in at home. I plugged in the car before I plugged the other end to the power source. I thought this might be the source of the problem, so I disconnected and reconnected, but it stayed at 24 A.

Any suggestions?

Model S charging @ only 16 amps on 40 Amp, 240 Volt Circuit => Why?

The second number is the maximum amperage your EVSE is offering the car. If it normally offers 32, then you should start there. What kind of EVSE is it?

Thank you. I fixed the problem.

EVSE is the cable and NEM 15-40 adapter that came with the car. Power source is my garage, 240V with up to 100A wire.

The solution was for me to unplug all the connections of the cable and re-connect them.

Am now charging at 32A. I think maybe I did not plug in the adapter hard enough, even though it appeared to be 100% engaged the first time I connected them

I plugged my Tesla Model S Performance into my 240 Volt, 40 Amp home charging receptacle , but it only charged at a rate of 16 Amps... Very slow! The incoming voltage on the dash was showing @ 239 Volts. Had the Model S charging rate set to 40 Amps.

Does anyone know what the parameters / algorithm the car uses to determine / set the charging current?

Thanks!
I have a similar problem and it is not caused by the plug not being fully inserted. I set my Amps in car to 40 and when I plug in it dials down to 12amps. I have 40amps pulled by the charger. I cant figure it out. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I have a similar problem and it is not caused by the plug not being fully inserted. I set my Amps in car to 40 and when I plug in it dials down to 12amps. I have 40amps pulled by the charger. I cant figure it out. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Let's start a little more basic. First, you are plugging into a plug that looks like this, right?
upload_2017-7-16_9-26-36.png

If you just plug into a normal outlet, all you can get is 12 amps, and your mobile connector will automatically set to that current.

Plugging into a regular wall socket is 120 volts and 12 A, which will give you a charge rate of a maximum of 4 miles per hour of charging.

Sorry if you already knew all of this, but we have no idea of your level of knowledge since this was your second post here...