Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Charging Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking to get a 2016-2017 Model S. I am wondering what the best home charging option is. I already have a 220v outlet in the garage and would still like to be able to use the outlet for my generator if needed. It is also my understanding that the Nema 14-50 chargers have to be the older version. I drive 160 miles round trip daily for work also and will be only charging at home. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

outlet for my generator if needed

If you are saying you use this outlet to connect a generator to power your house, you probably cannot use the outlet for a “charger.” For starters the breaker needs to be a GFCI breaker and there should be an interlock, these are probably not compatible with a generator power system.

Assuming you get past this, and you have a 14-50 outlet installed, you will need to ensure you have that GFCI breaker, then you should be able to use the Gen 2 mobile connector (it is called a connector not a charger. The charger is in the car) with a 14-50 adpater.

Some people would just unplug the connector when you need to run the generator, but as ATPMSD points out, you can’t legally do that without a transfer switch, either manual or automatic, already wired. Bad things happen when either the grid or generator try to power each other.

BTW, look for a late 2016 w AP2. Most should come with free supercharging that will transfer.

Last edited: