Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/Chevy Volt issue: Help Needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I am excited and awaiting my Model S delivery (sometime in 2013), my teenage son is going to buy a Chevy Volt. Problem: What to do about charging? I really do not want to upfit the garage with two chargers. Is there a solution here? I was planing on installing the Tesla wall charging unit. I am sure it is not compatible with the Volt or is it. My Chevy dealer said no. He was a little miffed I was buying a Model S too! Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

Mark

The Volt can charge overnight while drawing 12amps of 120v using their provided charger. The Tesla would require something more like 30-40 amps of 240v to charge over night using their provided charger. In my case, we charge my wife's Volt off of 120v using a 20amp circuit (without much else on it--just 1amp draw from some landscaping lights, will need to keep my xmas display under control) and a 15amp outlet. We'll be running a 50amp 240v line from a new sub-panel and putting a modern dryer outlet in the garage to charge the Tesla at 40 amps. No need to actually buy any chargers, as they are provided with the cars.

The Volt can charge overnight while drawing 12amps of 120v using their provided charger. The Tesla would require something more like 30-40 amps of 240v to charge over night using their provided charger. In my case, we charge my wife's Volt off of 120v using a 20amp circuit (without much else on it--just 1amp draw from some landscaping lights, will need to keep my xmas display under control) and a 15amp outlet. We'll be running a 50amp 240v line from a new sub-panel and putting a modern dryer outlet in the garage to charge the Tesla at 40 amps. No need to actually buy any chargers, as they are provided with the cars.
. RichSh great solution! Thanks for the help!

Mark

People often forget, but the amount of charging you need to do is determined by how much you DRIVE, not by the size of the battery in the car. If you are determined to have only one EVSE in the garage, the better choice would be a J1772 unit capable of 40 A.

Trnsl8r, my first thought would be, that other than Tesla, the other EVs I have seen don't come with 240 volt EVSEs that can plug into 14-50 outlets. The buyers of these other EVs can possibly convert their 120 volt EVSEs, that came with their cars, to 240 volt or they can buy seprate EVSEs (although not from their dealer), but I wonder how many EV drivers will go thru that hassle and expense. So what I am saying is that unless you have a spare 240 volt J1772 EVSE that you can plug into a 14-50 outlet, you probably won't be helping your friends with charging unless they own a Tesla.

I was always planning of forgoing Tesla's proprietary unit and instead having one or two 14-50 outlets installed, for compatibility with other cars. (Either guests' or unknown future cars.) Thoughts?
I was wondering the same. My "If everything goes perfectly" plan had been to just install the HPWC and use it with both my wife's possible Model X and my Model S. However, my rep at Tesla warned me not to bank on the charge port for the X being the same as the S. Although battery technology changes (somewhat slowly) over time, I wonder that given both cars are sharing the same platform why they would even think about making ANOTHER proprietary charging port? Anyways, she recommended that everyone put in a 14-50 plug, even if you are doing a EVSE, in case the ports/technology change. Not a bad idea IMO.

Trnsl8r, my first thought would be, that other than Tesla, the other EVs I have seen don't come with 240 volt EVSEs that can plug into 14-50 outlets. The buyers of these other EVs can possibly convert their 120 volt EVSEs, that came with their cars, to 240 volt or they can buy seprate EVSEs (although not from their dealer), but I wonder how many EV drivers will go thru that hassle and expense. So what I am saying is that unless you have a spare 240 volt J1772 EVSE that you can plug into a 14-50 outlet, you probably won't be helping your friends with charging unless they own a Tesla.

Does it have to be a 14-50? I only have a 14-30 (dryer outlet) that I use to charge my Leaf via EVSE and J1772. Couldn't I also use the same for the Model S J1772? Or should I upgrade it to a 14-50? Would that even work with my Leaf and the J1772?

The Roadster had adapters for the various 240 outlets around, so I would assume at some point Tesla would make an adapter for the S to utilize a 14-30 outlet, but from what I have heard so far the car comes with a 14-50, I just don't know when the other adapters might be available. Of course if you have a J1772 EVSE plugged into a 14-30 already, the S does come with an adapter for J1772 so you could charge the S with that J1772 EVSE anyways with no modifications necessary.

Anyways, she recommended that everyone put in a 14-50 plug, even if you are doing a EVSE, in case the ports/technology change. Not a bad idea IMO.

That's what I'm doing. I already have a 14-50 welding outlet in one of the garages, and on the subpanel on which my HPWC will be connected I will have another 14-50.

I was wondering the same. My "If everything goes perfectly" plan had been to just install the HPWC and use it with both my wife's possible Model X and my Model S. However, my rep at Tesla warned me not to bank on the charge port for the X being the same as the S. Although battery technology changes (somewhat slowly) over time, I wonder that given both cars are sharing the same platform why they would even think about making ANOTHER proprietary charging port? Anyways, she recommended that everyone put in a 14-50 plug, even if you are doing a EVSE, in case the ports/technology change. Not a bad idea IMO.

It would be **INSANE** for Tesla to change charging port when they're going to spend a bunch of money building the Supercharger network. I would be stunned.

I had was having the same issue when my gf was considering a Volt, we decided that the 110 outlet would be hers and the 220 would be mine, had to move a fridge to the basement to free up and outlet, but it was fine.
Also when we were looking at the Volt, the salesman kept on mentioning the "range anxiety" and that I should get a Volt instead of a Model S....I hate that

I have a Volt (which I love by the way) and the Model S is reserved. I put in an 80 amp subpanel myself in my garage and right now have a 6-30 outlet for my Volts SPX power Xpress EVSE ( charges in 4 hours). I will put in 14-50 for the S when the time comes. Hopeful this will work out!

Does it have to be a 14-50? I only have a 14-30 (dryer outlet) that I use to charge my Leaf via EVSE and J1772. Couldn't I also use the same for the Model S J1772? Or should I upgrade it to a 14-50? Would that even work with my Leaf and the J1772?
You can absolutely keep your 14-30. I have a 10-30 (same amperage as yours but IIRC doesn't have a separate ground) that I use for my Roadster and we're going to add another for my wife's Model S. We don't need to charge quickly as my commute is 60 miles and hers is 25 so plenty of time to charge by morning.

From here: Charging Model S | Tesla Motors

Model S comes a 5-15 (standard 110V outlet) and one of the following 220V adapters (you choose when you take delivery):
NEMA 14-50
NEMA 6-50
NEMA 10-30
NEMA 14-30

The car will charge at 80% of the outlet rating although you can decrease it even more. So with your 14-30 it will charge at 24A which is ~16 hours for a full 85kWh charge. If you step up to a 14-50 you will charge at 40A and decrease a dead to full charge to 9.5 hours. If you do step up to a 14-50 you could probably switch your Leaf EVSE to 14-50 as well but again, if you don't need the charge speed just leave it as is.