TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S - Chicago

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ibcs, Feb 17, 2011.

1. ibcs

ibcs Member

Saturday is the preview party for the Model S in Chicago. Roadster owners and Model S reservation holders got a special Saturday invitation. Very excited to see the Model S in person. Other people can see the Model S starting on Monday.

As anyone else gone to one of these showings?

2. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

That's awesome and take plenty pictures.

3. ibcs

ibcs Member

I will post feedback next week with pictures.

4. mattjs33

mattjs33 Member

Very cool, thanks for posting. I'm not a Roadster owner or reservation holder, but Monday is my day off so maybe I'll pop on down there to take a look.

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Thanks. Can you ask about what charging plugs and standards they're planning on supporting for the US (J1772, DC fast charging of some type....etc)?

6. ibcs

ibcs Member

I have printed out your question to take with me.

---Kent

7. dsm363

Thanks Kent. If you could ask about plans for an iPhone/Android app for looking at charge, turning on AC/heating, locking and unlocking car....that'd be great too.

Dave

8. nick_083

nick_083 Member

I am going on Saturday as well... look forward to seeing the car in-person

9. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

Elon Musk told at the Milano Store Opening, that they droped Androit in favour for linux

10. shark2k

shark2k Member

What's that have to do with an app for the phones, which I'm pretty sure is what dsm is asking about?

-Shark2k

11. dsm363

Yeah. I meant for a smartphone. If the Model S doesn't have the same feature as the Nissan Leaf, it will be a big disappointment. I understand why they haven't put the resources towards a Roadster smartphone app due to limited engineering resources but they will have plenty of time to work on this for the Model S.

12. mt2

mt2 Member

My wife and I considered the invitation and took a pass. Honestly, knowing now how different the Model S will be from the prototype makes sitting in the prototype ... meh. Looking forward to your photos, though.

13. Iggy

Iggy Member

#13 Iggy, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
    No special day for those of us who own small amounts of stock or who covered the Chicago store opening? I should be in Chicago on Tuesday. May have enough time of a layover I could catch a cab down the street to the Tesla store for a quick viewing.

The store is a fairly short cab ride from Union Station Chicago.

14. dsm363

I called yesterday and it's the red prototype that is just for viewing (no touching or sitting in it).

15. nick_083

nick_083 Member

I went to see Model S in Chicago today. Actually first time I saw the car in person. They had a prototype only (can't touch, can't seat)... but it looked drop dead gorgeous inside out. Unfortunately I forgot the camera, so only have lousy pictures from my BlackBerry. Not much news on a specs front, they don't know the options / packages / pricing and don't even know what signature series options / pricing would be like. They felt this information should be available by October, but were pretty comfortable AWD will not make it to Model S, but would be introduced in Model X.

16. ibcs

ibcs Member

Tesla Model S in Chicago

Just got back from the Tesla Chicago. It was a very nice event. Talked to Christi from the West Coast marketing group and all the staff from Tesla Chicago. Had a very nice turn out and the Model S in person is awesome. The entertainment system is more impressive in person. The Model S was the prototype and it is roped off. You can look in, but not actually sit in the car at this point. I did take quite a few pictures for all that could not make the event.

It was very nice talking to other reservation holders. The best news was that test drives will be starting in early 2012!

They did not have any further details on pricing, charging connectors that is not already on the web site. They did add more answers on the Model S page under FAQ.

Attached Files:

17. mattjs33

mattjs33 Member

I like the side marker light integrated into the logo. That's cool.

18. Adm

Adm Active Member

In the webcast (and I've checked in the transcript) Musk says "We feel very confident about having a compelling beta that will be available for test drive the summer of this year."

19. ibcs

ibcs Member

#19 ibcs, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
    That would be better yet. If your in the Chicago area and have time to stop by it's worth the visit.

20. drbradfo

drbradfo Member