Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Chicago

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the Chicago weather forecast calling for snow - unfortunately I'll most likely skip taking a trip to the store tomorrow. Really wanted to get my own pictures of the prototype but don't have enough time layover wise to risk bad weather making me miss my connection. Aggravating to be just down the block & not getting to have a look at the vehicle.

In the last pic posted, it shows the sunroof sliding over the top of the roof as opposed to inside the roof like many sunroofs do today. Curious design.

Thanks for posting the pics. Got my Tesla fix for today.

In the last pic posted, it shows the sunroof sliding over the top of the roof as opposed to inside the roof like many sunroofs do today. Curious design.

Presumably that's much harder to do with the panoramic roof - there's no space in the glass over the rear seats to slide it in to. I've never seen a sunroof in a glass-roofed car so I don't know if this wold be 'normal'

I am (as many others) is very concerned about how close the finished car will look to this prototype

The more I see the Red Prototype used as a display vehicle, the less concerned I become about this. If the Alpha were to be significantly closer in design to the final than the prototype, I'd hope that TM would display one of those rather tham taking a non-relevant car around the country. It would be good if someone could ask if they meet those in the know from TM.

There will always be some people who were particularly fond of the precise detail that gets changed in the final design, but I hope I'm not one of them.

Is that the same car they showed 2 years ago? That's pretty lame if you ask me.
Supposedly they won't (can't?) let people ride in the Alphas until they are crash tested. I suspect the real reason is the Alphas had much less focus on the interior than the exterior, so the interior may not be close enough to production spec to show it to customers.

Supposedly they won't (can't?) let people ride in the Alphas until they are crash tested. I suspect the real reason is the Alphas had much less focus on the interior than the exterior, so the interior may not be close enough to production spec to show it to customers.

The final exterior is supposedly closer to the red prototype, than to the alphas we've seen so far. The betas will be available later this year (summer, I guess late summer) for test drives, and will be more like the production version. I guess the alphas are more about the body engineering, while the looks (both interior an exterior) are just rough approximations.

The final exterior is supposedly closer to the red prototype, than to the alphas we've seen so far. The betas will be available later this year (summer, I guess late summer) for test drives, and will be more like the production version. I guess the alphas are more about the body engineering, while the looks (both interior an exterior) are just rough approximations.

That's just odd to me. Why would the alphas stray then come back? Is it just that their body work hasn't yet been put into the production system? *Shrug* guess we'll see. Maybe it was also to test the response of the changes.

I just hope the sunroof is optional equipment...

It usually is on "normal" cars, but even if it's not, what's the difference? If you don't want to use it, don't. Doesn't get in the way of anything.

It usually is on "normal" cars, but even if it's not, what's the difference? If you don't want to use it, don't. Doesn't get in the way of anything.

You're obviously not tall. I'm 6' 4", which isn't crazy tall, but still I can't tell you the number of cars I've sat in where the sunroof intrudes on the headroom to the point where I would have to hold my head at an angle just to drive it. You can lose up to two inches of headroom depending on the style of the mechanism. Manufacturers should always make the sunroof optional for just that reason.

You're obviously not tall. I'm 6' 4", which isn't crazy tall, but still I can't tell you the number of cars I've sat in where the sunroof intrudes on the headroom to the point where I would have to hold my head at an angle just to drive it. You can lose up to two inches of headroom depending on the style of the mechanism. Manufacturers should always make the sunroof optional for just that reason.

I'm 6'3", 1" shorter than you, and have never noticed it personally. Then again, I don't tend to try 2 similar cars back to back, one with and one without sunroof to judge the difference, so that may be the case. In the case of a panoramic roof however, if the mechanisms go up and out, might not be as much of an issue.

I'm 6'3", 1" shorter than you, and have never noticed it personally. Then again, I don't tend to try 2 similar cars back to back, one with and one without sunroof to judge the difference, so that may be the case. In the case of a panoramic roof however, if the mechanisms go up and out, might not be as much of an issue.

At 6'4" I tend to find my hair just brushing the roof liner in cars with sun-roofs. With simple tilt-only or up-and-out, I think you're right in expecting less of an issue.

Do we know if the glass roof (with or without sunroof) is standard equipment?

At 6'4" I tend to find my hair just brushing the roof liner in cars with sun-roofs. With simple tilt-only or up-and-out, I think you're right in expecting less of an issue.

Do we know if the glass roof (with or without sunroof) is standard equipment?
I'm sure the glass roof is optional. Tesla has stated this before.

As far as a sunroof, I don't know. I do know that I don't want a sunroof, they are a thing you don't use or even notice after the first week.

That's just odd to me. Why would the alphas stray then come back? Is it just that their body work hasn't yet been put into the production system?

The alpha that was shown in the video released a few weeks ago was assembled in a week by only a few engineers. It was very rushed and, as the engineer I talked to explained it, "does not have the sexiness" of the final Model S. When the betas are shown soon, I think this will be more apparent.

I'm sure the glass roof is optional. Tesla has stated this before.

As far as a sunroof, I don't know. I do know that I don't want a sunroof, they are a thing you don't use or even notice after the first week.

Exactly. But after 10 years you notice it when the seals start to leak and the car get wet inside when driving in rain :(
And it adds cost too.

Sunroofs were nice when cars had no AC. Now they're just in the way.