Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S + Coachella Music Festival Camping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This will be our first year with the Model S and Coachella together. Looking to take advantage of "camping mode" on the car.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with taking their S into Coachella for the entire weekend.

I have a MS 85. My biggest hesitation is that as per Coachella Music Festival rules, the car needs to stay parked (no in and out for charging at nearby charging stations) for the duration of the festival. Planning to arrive Thursday and leave Sunday/Monday. Not sure how much the A/C + music in camping mode would eat up the battery life and last for the whole weekend.

The other hesitation is all the drunken people scratching up my beloved S :mad:

Any thoughts on this from people with similar experiences? Anyone has taken their Model S into Coachella?

• Informative
Reactions: D.E.
I went to the eclipse last year, parked on asphalt, in summer, it was hot. My daughter was with my infant grandchild there. I ran the a/c all day so there was a cool 72 degree space for them when they wanted it. The a/c consumed an average of 8 miles of range for each hour run.

I can’t help with the drunks part.

• Informative
Reactions: iboy and xdms
I wouldn’t take my S to Coachella for the pure factor of some of the idiots who will attend.
But I camped in FL for the Falcon Heavy launch and I didn’t need to charge at the supercharger for the 3 days I was there. I didn’t use camping mode except the time I was in the vehicle and needed it. Just use it when you need it only and you’ll be fine. Use range mode and power saver. Turn off overheat protection so it will keep the power saved on that front as well.

Reactions: xdms
I live in the area. You won’t need AC, you’ll need heat. It’s low-mid 40’s at night, and mid-60’s during the day, currently. I guess it’s do-able and I respect your choice, but it sounds incredibly uncomfortable. Good news, though, is the Indio SC is very nearby - you could top off on the way in and recharge on the way out. Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: selfbp and xdms
I live in the area. You won’t need AC, you’ll need heat. It’s low-mid 40’s at night, and mid-60’s during the day, currently. I guess it’s do-able and I respect your choice, but it sounds incredibly uncomfortable. Good news, though, is the Indio SC is very nearby - you could top off on the way in and recharge on the way out. Good luck!
Good to know! I usually go bouldering in Joshua Tree and remember the sweltering heat. Also, last time I went to Coachella (7 years ago), it was brutally hot. This is good news as Heat takes less power than AC.

This is good news as Heat takes less power than AC.

Lol, no it doesn’t. The electric resistance heater in a Model S can pull 6kw at full tilt.

That won’t matter though as in mid-late April it’s usually around 90 degrees during the day and 60s at night in Indio. I think Brettski is a little confused about the dates.

Last edited:
Reactions: selfbp
The other hesitation is all the drunken people scratching up my beloved S :mad:

Well I’ve had a pot of coffee and I’ve given your drunkproofing problem some thought. I’ll say you certainly set me a difficult task but I think I’ve got the solution.

You could balloon it.

These are hail protection covers, they’re $299 on Amazon.

One of these would keep drunks at least a foot away from your paint. Even the worst drunk isn’t going to bump into something that looks as curious as this. And they couldn’t even set a beer bottle on it. The dopers would see it as an enormous crysalis, and so await the emergence of the magnificent giant butterfly.

OK, you say, how would I get in and out? Gotcha covered... you could put it on upside down. Drive on to it then inflate so underside of cover is up, then you have an inflatable boat. There’s a problem, though. It’d become a raincatcher. So perhaps not. You could use it right way up. It has a remote control for the inflation... so you deflate, get in, inflate.

Now you’re probably thinking what about all the travel dust on the surface, no one wants surface scratches from cover applied to a dirty car.
There is waterless car wash, you just use a spray bottle and umpteen microfiber cloths. Then your paint would be clean and shiny, with no dust to scratch.

Now about those temperature concerns... well you’d be insulated. It could freeze outside. You’d still be cozy.

Next there’s probably an asphyxia concern and rightly so. Lowe’s will sell you 6 feet of corrugated 4” flexible sewer pipe. You’d need a a 12v inline fan, and I’d take along a spare 12v car battery, you’d have fresh air inside, and you wouldn’t even deplete the car’s battery.

No one can think of everything so I’ve got you covered there as well. You could take along a box cutter and use it as a last resort emergency escape.

Yup, I think this is your solution. No thanks necessary, I’m just happy to help.

716C3482-F298-4311-96CD-D52DB25D9658.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: iboy and DukeofURL