TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Cold weather testing

Discussion in 'Video' started by jcstp, Apr 10, 2012.

1. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

2. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

I guess the video answers some of the critics about how well the Model S well perform in cold climates.

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

sweet, thanks! Watching now :)

*edit* maybe it's just me, but I expected more. I guess it handled well, but where's the donuts!?!

4. Suntronics

Suntronics P267 VIN17995

Nice post and from a belgium blogger :)

5. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

The dramatic music probably threw you off. I was half-expecting it to break through the ice...:wink:

6. loganss

loganss Spaceman

Yeah all the camera cuts killed it for me. I wanted to see more footage of how it did without cut aways.

7. Trnsl8r

Ehum, OK I know that the car can't be right-hand drive, right? They must have mirrored that last shot. :confused:

8. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Well, that was...kind of dull. I wish it'd given some details about the results of the test. Just watching a car drive around in snow wasn't terribly insightful.

9. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Why not? They could be testing the version for Asia/UK couldn't they?

10. Trnsl8r

Seems to me a little early to start mucking around with right-hand drive. And also this post from GeorgeB:

If it's the same car as in Santana Row, then it was left-hand drive. (I'm recuperating from a bug here... I should have had all this figured out at time of the first post.) I guess the editor just thought it would look better to have the car exit left... Anyway, moving on...

11. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

Absolutely... That looked like my winter commute, with less traffic and less snow !

I would have liked to see what happened when the car lost traction and seemed to start a spin (into a camera cut!), and how it did with starting (especially stopping) in these snow & ice conditions.

Basic stuff, this was fluff (sorry, read Dr. Seuss to my kids earlier :tongue:)

12. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Great video but it raise mores questions about the "S" and its experiences during this cold weather test:

* What was the coldest temp recorded during the testing?
    * How long did the "S" take to warm the interior?
    * What were the battery readings during the testing?
    * What was the power loss due to the cold temp?
    * What was the power loss due to interior warming?
    * How long was that "S" exposed to those temps?
    * What type of tires were on the "S" at the time of filming?

TM thanks for sharing the video and now we know the "S" likes cold weather.

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yeah, it was fluff... basically saying "look... we did winter testing, see?" Nicely put together, but sub-zero information content.

14. goyogi

goyogi Member

Yes, it needs more data and I thought a psycho killer was going to leap out with the music. ;)

Did they have two different cars? It looked like a white and a silver one but it could just be the lighting.

15. goyogi

goyogi Member

Looked again. Looks like silver with 21" and white with 19" wheels. Now I'm curious if one was the performance version and the other regular.

16. Zorba

Zorba Member

Give the guys at Tesla some time to look at the numbers first. A video is easy to make, I'm sure the results will follow...

17. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Oh of course Zorba results will follow but how difficult is it to provide information similar to this... (The Model S with the 21" inch wheels spent three days in the conditions at temperatures ranging from -1 to 8 degrees F. On one observation, the interior took three minutes to go from ambient to a toasty 68 degrees...) And that's all I'm looking for. Ultimately, I want to see that the "S" is capable of surviving in any climate, any altitude, or any reasonable condition the my current vehicle faces and perform up to par.

18. ManuVince

ManuVince Member

I think it was the same grey car and they swap the wheels. It is true that it is difficult to see the color with the cloudy weather.

19. ManuVince

ManuVince Member

Look carefully at the beginning of the video, it says : temp ranging from -10F to 15F.
    Doesn't answer all your questions though, at least that's one you can tick off ;-)

20. zdre

zdre 40kWh Model S P6415

Due to untimely cuts in the video right in the middle of a turn (or lateral transition), one can only assume that the car spun out right after those cuts... otherwise the full turns would have been shown.