Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S collision repairs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any insight as to why the company is so bad keeping stockpiles of spares?

Many years ago I worked at a place that dealt with VW dealers, at the time they had launched a new Van, after a year or two these things were having massive transmission failures and big time electrical problems.
If your transmission went you had to get a new one (under warranty) but they did not keep any stock locally so every failure was ordered 'as needed' on a slow boat from Germany. Often tradesmen who got these (plumbers, electricians etc) were without a van for 3 to 4 months.

RE: 2nd Party accident - you'll see references more often to "third party", since the other driver usually as an insurance company involved.

there is no reduced value. When a vehicle is repaired to like new condition there will not be any signs of damage if done properly and if you can tell there was a repair then you need to take it back and have it fixed/corrected properly. The accident might show up on carfax if all the proper channels were followed but that does not mean the value is reduced at all. I worked in the collision business for over 12 years and from my experiences dealing with customers, insurance companies, and my own accidents I can say that I have never seen any value lost to a vehicle due to an accident as long as its repaired accordingly.

This position is not supported by law in many states (including my own, where you are entitled to recovery of cost of repair, loss of use, and diminished value (DV) of the vehicle). While an insurance company may argue this position to avoid paying DV, it is an irrational position. If two vehicles of same make/model/trim/options/mileage were available at the same price to the same rational buyer, with the only difference being one vehicle accident history, the buyer would take the undamaged vehicle 100% of the time. There has to be a cost incentive to take the risk on the repaired vehicle with an accident history, and that incentive is the DV.

Yes it was my own fault that the car was damaged. Not denying that at all. A couple points to make. My insurance company sent me what is called a diminution of value form to fill out. I did so and they offered me a $2500 cash diminution settlement. There was also a third party company that called me while the car was still in the shop that says they do a diminution in value estimate and will create a report to present to the insurance company to try to get that bumped as he said the insurance company will only offer 10 to 15 cents on the dollar of damage. Anyway his report cost $325.00. He already told me his estimate was $8900.00 for diminished value. I talked to the insurance company who said they rarely change their estimates based on these third party reports so I'm deciding if I should roll the dice.

What is state law in your location related to diminished value or diminution of value (DV/DoV)? In my state, you may only claim DV for a first-party uninsured/underinsured claim or a third-party claim. Damaging your own vehicle, you're out of luck. Curious if you have any case law that would allow you to pursue the higher number from the diminished value appraisal.