Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S collision repairs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We recently had an accident with our 2017 90D Model S. It happened on November 15 when my wife mistook the gas and brake pedals and rammed the car into the garage door. Yeah I know. Anyway it was a low speed crash and most of the damage seemed to be cosmetic to the exterior of the car. Mainly the hood, windshield, glass roof and passenger mirror. Although, the coolant reservoir got punctured, that was the only thing that made the car un-drivable. I had the car picked up and towed the next day to the certified collision repair facility in the Atlanta area. A little over two months and over $19k in damages later, I finally got the car back on 18 January.
My point here is to let everyone know who hasn't been in an accident in there Tesla; it can be very expensive and time consuming. Every week I checked it turned out they were waiting for another part to come from the factory. The hood had to be trucked across country from California I believe. It was just a nightmare waiting and wondering what kind of car I'd get back after so long.
Thankfully the repair center did a fantastic job and so far I'm happy with the work. I wan't sure it would ever drive the same but it does and I'm really happy about that. My only pain is I know the car lost value because of the accident. I know that only matters if I planned on selling it but I don't. I plan to keep it for as long as it continues to perform the way it does. Just be careful out there Tesla drivers!

Attachments

• 20181115_153026.jpg
    20181115_153026.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 20181115_153018.jpg
    20181115_153018.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 20181115_153011.jpg
    20181115_153011.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 20181115_153001.jpg
    20181115_153001.jpg
    559.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 20181115_152953.jpg
    20181115_152953.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 20181115_152947.jpg
    20181115_152947.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 20181115_152942.jpg
    20181115_152942.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 85
there should be no value lost to the vehicle after the damage was repaired at a authorized/licensed repair facility and you went thru insurance. Also they used OEM tesla parts so 99 % of the population cant tell that it was repaired. It might show up on a carfax report but again the value is not effected by repairs made unless it is a total loss or the repair shop does a crappy job.

This is a common issue with the latest all aluminum vehicles. While they weigh less, perform better, are more fuel efficient, they are also much more expensive to repair.

Many of the higher end vehicles are aluminum intensive. Body shops need to have special tools and equipment to deal with these cars.

The higher volume cars have extensive supplies of spare repair parts, while the lower volume cars tend to have long wait lines for their exclusive parts.

While a high volume Toyota corolla can be in and out of the body shop in a few days, a Rolls Royce may sit there for months awaiting parts.

In a 2nd party accident, some states will allow reduction in value damages, but seldom when you do the damage to your own car.

In many states, when you get into an accident, even though you have the damage repaired, it will show up on a CarFax or other reporting agency as a repaired wreck. This will cause buyers to demand a discount over a equilivant car that has never been in a reported accident.

As the OP stated, he worried that it would never drive the same again.

When you smash up your own car, there is no other party to sue for the reduced value of the car...it is your own fault it was damaged.

for the reduced value of the car.

there is no reduced value. When a vehicle is repaired to like new condition there will not be any signs of damage if done properly and if you can tell there was a repair then you need to take it back and have it fixed/corrected properly. The accident might show up on carfax if all the proper channels were followed but that does not mean the value is reduced at all. I worked in the collision business for over 12 years and from my experiences dealing with customers, insurance companies, and my own accidents I can say that I have never seen any value lost to a vehicle due to an accident as long as its repaired accordingly.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
This is a common issue with the latest all aluminum vehicles. While they weigh less, perform better, are more fuel efficient, they are also much more expensive to repair.

Many of the higher end vehicles are aluminum intensive. Body shops need to have special tools and equipment to deal with these cars.

The higher volume cars have extensive supplies of spare repair parts, while the lower volume cars tend to have long wait lines for their exclusive parts.

While a high volume Toyota corolla can be in and out of the body shop in a few days, a Rolls Royce may sit there for months awaiting parts.

In a 2nd party accident, some states will allow reduction in value damages, but seldom when you do the damage to your own car.

In many states, when you get into an accident, even though you have the damage repaired, it will show up on a CarFax or other reporting agency as a repaired wreck. This will cause buyers to demand a discount over a equilivant car that has never been in a reported accident.

As the OP stated, he worried that it would never drive the same again.

When you smash up your own car, there is no other party to sue for the reduced value of the car...it is your own fault it was damaged.

Yes it was my own fault that the car was damaged. Not denying that at all. A couple points to make. My insurance company sent me what is called a diminution of value form to fill out. I did so and they offered me a $2500 cash diminution settlement. There was also a third party company that called me while the car was still in the shop that says they do a diminution in value estimate and will create a report to present to the insurance company to try to get that bumped as he said the insurance company will only offer 10 to 15 cents on the dollar of damage. Anyway his report cost $325.00. He already told me his estimate was $8900.00 for diminished value. I talked to the insurance company who said they rarely change their estimates based on these third party reports so I'm deciding if I should roll the dice.

Why is there no spares anywhere? I know it costs money to make spares and keep them in stock 'somewhere' but that is also why the OEM's charge a fortune for spares.
Tesla aren't alone here though, I know where I am from European car owners can be off the road for months and months because there is no parts kept locally, but they are at least available.

Why is there no spares anywhere? I know it costs money to make spares and keep them in stock 'somewhere' but that is also why the OEM's charge a fortune for spares.
Tesla aren't alone here though, I know where I am from European car owners can be off the road for months and months because there is no parts kept locally, but they are at least available.

I know; it's kind of crazy. When I picked my car up the guy said I was lucky. They just got in another Model S and said they can't get a hood until first week in March. Insane!

Yes, totally crazy, they can't be cutting it that fine with production stock parts surely that they can't set 20 aside for smash repairs. This makes me scared to drive the car now.

Yes I felt the same. After what I considered a minor accident relatively speaking; it took over two months to get my car back and almost 20K to repair, it makes me reluctant to want to get on the road with the car. My insurance company had to pay for a rental car for all that time as well and I could tell they were getting frustrated also because they kept having to extend my rental car because the collision center was constantly waiting on parts to come in. SMH

Wow, sorry to say that you and your insurance company were taken advantage of here. We will all pay in the form of increased rates going forward.

View attachment 371592

Believe me, I feel taken advantage of but that is typical for Tesla repairs. It wasn't just me because I did some research as the estimate kept growing and found out that what happens with Tesla repairs. My insurance company did complain about the rates but ultimately went ahead with most of it. The did get some rates reduced however.