Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S comfort compared to Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 Model 3, during the pandemic we turned in our other car which was a lease, and now that we are both back to work we bought a new 2021 Model Y. I loved the 3 but I'm tall (6'4") and not a small guy. The Y is so much more comfortable than the 3, both the seating position and getting in and out of the car is better in the Y than the 3. When we bought our new Y Tesla offered us much more for our current 3 than we own on it. We decided to buy another 3 and trade in the old one. What I really want, what I have always wanted was an S. I'm debating canceling our 3 order and buying an S.

What are your opinions on the comfort of the S? I know the seats will be more comfortable (more premium) but is getting in and out the same as the 3, or is it more comfortable to get in and out of. How is the headroom, I know the S is actually shorter than the 3 does it feel shorter inside? Does the active air suspension raise the car up enough to make it easier to get in and out of? I'm nervous I'll buy an S and regret being uncomfortable every time I get in and out of it.

I have a 2019 Model 3, during the pandemic we turned in our other car which was a lease, and now that we are both back to work we bought a new 2021 Model Y. I loved the 3 but I'm tall (6'4") and not a small guy. The Y is so much more comfortable than the 3, both the seating position and getting in and out of the car is better in the Y than the 3. When we bought our new Y Tesla offered us much more for our current 3 than we own on it. We decided to buy another 3 and trade in the old one. What I really want, what I have always wanted was an S. I'm debating canceling our 3 order and buying an S.

What are your opinions on the comfort of the S? I know the seats will be more comfortable (more premium) but is getting in and out the same as the 3, or is it more comfortable to get in and out of. How is the headroom, I know the S is actually shorter than the 3 does it feel shorter inside? Does the active air suspension raise the car up enough to make it easier to get in and out of? I'm nervous I'll buy an S and regret being uncomfortable every time I get in and out of it.
As someone who has owned both an S and a Y, the materials and build quality are certainly nicer in the S.

But the seating position, view of the road, and ease of ingress and egress were much better for me in the Y.

I've never owned a Y so don't have a good comparison in that regard, but I sold my 3 for an S earlier this year. The ride is much quieter and more comfortable, and the cargo space is larger and more functional. I use the air suspension on high for getting in and out, but you still have to duck, which I imagine isn't the case for the Y.

Personally I'd go for an S as a second car if you already have a Y, but to each their own.

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and Er1c*
I have both a Y and an S.

The Y is definitely easier to get in and out of, by far. It also has better sight lines on the road/ride height.

That being said, in terms of the actual ride and comfort of the ride - it's not even a fair comparison. The S completely blows the Y out of the water for ride comfort. The Y's suspension is actually remarkably stiff and 'crashy.'

• Informative
Reactions: iustin and David29
We’ve had a 3, we -have- a Y and we have a refreshed S. I am not as tall as you but if your concerned about the ease of getting in/out…the S is probably gonna be the toughest of the three (as it sits so low to the ground) BUT…once it, it is well appointed and it’s really in a league of its own…as they’re just different animals. I know the wait (at least for the Long Range) is really long right now…but..maybe it’s worth the wait, to test drive, once in the stores (or find someone that already has the Plaid or LR snd check it). It’s a good chunk of money to buy and then potentially wish you could have done different)

Own both. The air suspension in the S plus its longer wheelbase makes the ride quality significantly better than the Y. Getting out of the S is not as easy as the Y. Y also has better visibility due to sitting up higher. (Not that the S has poor visibility). The S does not raise up on its own for you to get in/out. Note that your wait time for a long range S is now into 2022 per the Tesla website. And used ones will demand a premium in todays market.

I highly suggest using Turo to get an S for at least a full day to make sure its the right fit for you.

I'm average height and I've got to say that for such a large car getting in and out of it is more difficult than it should be. Every time I get in I have to remember to lean pretty hard away from the car while sitting down. Several times I've hit my head on the roof and I feel like an idiot every time that happens.

The Y is fine for short trips but the S is far more comfortable for long drives. The Y has no air suspension while the S does which makes the ride smoother on rougher roads. The Y does sit higher and easier to get in and out but I'm not a huge person so I never gave it a thought. The map and driver display is better for travel too as you get a closeup of the route in front and the larger map display on the big screen.
I don't feel the seats are any more comfortable in either, about the same. But the choice of interior color on the Y being white is harder on the eyes. I actually had to replace the white dash with an Oak one as the white was giving me a headache in the bright sun. My S has the more pleasant cream color. Black was totally out of the question for the interior because of the Florida heat.

My wife prefers the Y for her local driving because she can sit higher and the back seat has more room for hauling the 3 grandkids. The S is more cramped in the back seat.
I've seen the 2021 S and frankly, I prefer the interior of the 2020.

If you can spring for the higher cost and you will be doing long drives then the S is better. My wife actually wanted an X but I had to put the limits on cost. Now she is very happy with her Y.