Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Competitive Sales Numbers for Q1-2013...HOME RUN!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought Model S was a 5-series competitor. :biggrin: In which case, it was outsold by the BMW 5-series and Mercedes E-class but beat the Audi A6 and Lexus GS.

Then again, Model S transaction prices are closer to that of the 7-series.

borat_great_success.jpg

I thought Model S was a 5-series competitor. :biggrin: In which case, it was outsold by the BMW 5-series and Mercedes E-class but beat the Audi A6 and Lexus GS.

Then again, Model S transaction prices are closer to that of the 7-series.
I was certainly thinking of Model S as being comparable to the A6, but more expensive (and, well, electric :smile: ). It's actually quite impressive that Model S outsold the A6, given the substantial price premium. But then, it *is* a better car (being electric :smile:)

I know that even without major tech breakthroughs, battery prices are dropping some as the years pass. Perhaps the price can be pushed down closer to the price of the 5-series or A6 in a few years. I believe prices of gas cars are going to continue to trend up, which should help close the gap.

The delivery numbers for the first quarter are Tesla's GLOBAL deliveries (US AND Canada).

Tesla never stated how many Model S have been delivered to Canada since the end of december 2012. My feeling is that there is between 150 to 250 Model S right now delivered in Canada. Would be nice to know the numbers for 4th quarter 2012 and 1st quarter 2013.

I compiled the numbers at http://evtripplanner.com/teslasales.php - very impressive showing. Detroit, Japan and Germany can all read it and weep!

What is there to weep about?

As soon as the Model S outsells any car here in Germany in its $100,000+ price range, I will be impressed. I still wouldn't weep, as I have been a great fan of EVs all along.
It's just that the S is not an affordable solution that would lead to a large sales volume, at least not here. Remember, the market for cars costing more than $100,000 is not that large to make an impact. If the Model S would be available for $70,000 like in the US, or heavily subsidized like in Norway, that would be a whole different story.

Just for comparison, Q4 2012 sales numbers of various models in Germany:

BMW 5-series: 12,104
Audi A6/A7: 9,656
Mercedes E-class: 9,157

Cars more in keeping with in the Model S price category:
< 1,600 per model (S-class, A8, 7-series, Panamera, ...), and that is cars with high prestige by companies people here have known, trusted and loved for decades. Tesla to most Germans will be a company they have never heard about and whose cars they can only buy in two dealerships in the whole country, and service in just one: Munich (ranger service notwithstanding). I don't think that will win over many people either, when Audi, BMW, Merc et al have dealerships/service centers in almost every larger town.

Actually I would be mildly surprised if the Model S sold anywhere close to 500 cars per year over here.

Last edited:
As soon as the Model S outsells any car here in Germany in its $100,000+ price range [...]

Why do people insist on portraying the Model S as a car with a "$100,000+ price range"? Even with the cancellation of the 40 kWh variant, the Model S has a USA price range of $62K to $103K before the tax credit, or $55K to $96K after considering that credit. The Model S can cost over $100,000 if you get the Performance model and you tick all or nearly all of the checkboxes on the order form... but most Model S cars won't cost that much. The Model S competes directly -- on price as well as everything else -- with the BMW 5-series in the USA.

The price ranges in Germany are different, because the BMW has two advantages: very high import tariffs on the Model S, and a savings on shipping to the USA. Still, for the purposes of this thread, I believe the OP is comparing sales of different models in the USA, not Germany. I'm sure the BMW 5-series still outsold the Model S and I'm sure it will continue to do so for a while... but if I were any other carmaker, I'd be looking pretty far ahead and taking Tesla seriously as a competitor. I certainly wouldn't be weeping right now, but I'd be concerned as hell and putting my engineering staff to work harder and smarter for the next model down the line.

Very informative. Thanks for posting.

- - - Updated - - -

but if I were any other carmaker, I'd be looking pretty far ahead and taking Tesla seriously as a competitor. I certainly wouldn't be weeping right now, but I'd be concerned as hell and putting my engineering staff to work harder and smarter for the next model down the line.
It is difficult to compare different technologies (ICE vs BEV). All Tesla needs is a battery breakthrough that results in a 25% increase over what is used now. That can have a dramatic impact on future statistics.

Why do people insist on portraying the Model S as a car with a "$100,000+ price range"? Even with the cancellation of the 40 kWh variant, the Model S has a USA price range of $62K to $103K before the tax credit, or $55K to $96K after considering that credit. The Model S can cost over $100,000 if you get the Performance model and you tick all or nearly all of the checkboxes on the order form... but most Model S cars won't cost that much. The Model S competes directly -- on price as well as everything else -- with the BMW 5-series in the USA.

The price ranges in Germany are different, because the BMW has two advantages: very high import tariffs on the Model S, and a savings on shipping to the USA. Still, for the purposes of this thread, I believe the OP is comparing sales of different models in the USA, not Germany. I'm sure the BMW 5-series still outsold the Model S and I'm sure it will continue to do so for a while... but if I were any other carmaker, I'd be looking pretty far ahead and taking Tesla seriously as a competitor. I certainly wouldn't be weeping right now, but I'd be concerned as hell and putting my engineering staff to work harder and smarter for the next model down the line.

Which is exactly what big manufacturers in Germany, Japan, Korea, China et al are doing right now, and have been doing for decades. And Tesla should do so as well, because as we all know, apart from its EV-tech, the Model S leaves a lot to be desired, even when it comes to basics every "normal" car offers. But let's not get into a debate about that again, as this is being done in many other threads right now.

And as far as we are concerned, the Model S certainly IS a $100,000+ car, as even the naked base model costs more than $100k here. Customers are not interested WHY the car costs more than $100k, they just compare it to other cars that cost them as much, and then buy what suits them the most.
If the Model S wasn't as heavily subsidized in the US (and even more so in Norway), then the sales numbers would look quite differently (especially in Norway). Personally, I would love it if the German government would go the Norway route as far as EVs are concerned, but sadly it is not going to happen.

I remember a while ago that the German government had stated that they wanted a certain number of EV's on the road in Germany by 2020. I am not sure how many. What happened? Did they loose faith in EV's?

Don't laugh, they said "1 Million" EV's by 2020!
But they also said this should be achieved without any incentives for potential customers. How they thought that number would be achieved without incentives is beyond me. By now they must have realised that, but instead of thinking about incentives (real ones, not the "no car tax", as that would only amount to a few hundred Euros - stretched over a period of ten years - laughable), they just include Hybrids etc. into the equation. And I think a new report said also that the goal now was 2025. :mad:

with more and more people being educated about Tesla and the Model S, i think Tesla is going to steam roll these guys, investing in their stock now would be ideal.

I'm no economist by any stretch of the imagination but where/when is market saturation for the Model S? Does anyone have any input on that?

At some point all of the early adopters are going to dry up. How does Tesla continue to reach the public? I still get stopped daily by people who are clueless as to what the hell the car is that I am driving. I guess advertising is the next logical step in the process but right now Tesla is juts catching up on their backlog. Are reservations still rolling in at a quantity that will keep the assembly lines in Fremont rolling at max rate (400/wk)?