Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Confusion: A Mystery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was a warm March evening. I was at a very interesting event till nine, and had relatively long stroll back to my Model S. The weather was very pleasant, and I was in no particular rush to get home.:smile:

My Model S was parked in a long line of cars somewhere near the end. As I was happily walking along, I saw a familiar site, the beautiful 21” turbine wheels and the lovely Dolphin Grey. I walked to the driver’s side of the car and noticed something unusual, the car doors were not opening.:eek:

Hmm.... I wonder what was happening? Was the key fob no longer in my pants pocket? No, I still had the key. Perhaps the key was not functioning properly? Or the car did not recognize the key fob?:confused:

Then it dawned on me. In the low light of a dark parking area, I realized that the seats were the wrong color. Instead of black, the seats were either tan or light grey. This Model S was not my car!:redface:

It only took two months before there were so many Model S cars on the road, I mistook another for mine. A bit befuddled, I found my car parked about eight cars further down the line.:biggrin:

Cross posted from my blog.

Too funny!

A week after picking up my car, I was confronted by this sight (previously posted in the Random Model S Sightings thread):

IMG_1390.JPG

These two cars were identical. The only differences were the license plates and the contents (we don't have child seats in ours!). Luckily I was not confused.

This thread reminds of an incident years ago. I was waiting curb side for my wife. I was busy heads down on my phone. I heard my wife open the door to get in. I looked up and a stranger gal had jumped into the car thinking I was her husband. Both of us nervously chuckled, she said wrong car and hopped out. A minute later, my wife hopped in and asked about the gal I just dropped off. Stunned silence and then stuttering from me :)

Well I would be more worried if your key let you into their car.

One day in 1999 or 2000 I went to Best Buy at opening on a Sunday, (some video game went on sale). There were about 4 cars in the parking lot, I parked near the back to see the peahens and sandhill cranes.. There were about a dozen peacocks/hens. And a couple sandhill cranes. It was a lovely morning in Brandon FL. Upon leaving the best buy the parking lot was much fuller. And I had forgotten parking very close to the back of the lot.

I saw my white Dodge Neon, unlocked the front door with the key. Sat down in the car. Then my left foot 'missed' the clutch pedal. Then I looked around and saw this car was an automatic. And had a baby seat in the back. I got out of the car and locked and unlocked the door with my key. It worked.

I then left one door unlocked locked the drivers door (I didn't know if I would have locked them out of their car). And then walked to the back of the lot where my car was.

It was a truly wild experience.

Happened to me as well, twice so far. Way back in '92, another person and I each walked to the wrong black Honda CR-X and tried to open them. Didn't work, had to swap cars. And about five years ago, a valet delivered "our" Acura MDX to us while another parking attendant delivered an identical car right behind ours to another family. Mass confusion ensued in both cars for about 30 seconds before people started catching on.

Have not had anything similar happen with the Roadster... ;-)

I saw my white Dodge Neon, unlocked the front door with the key. Sat down in the car. Then my left foot 'missed' the clutch pedal. Then I looked around and saw this car was an automatic. And had a baby seat in the back. I got out of the car and locked and unlocked the door with my key. It worked.

It's a little known fact that up to about 10 years ago, all the keys to open Ford cars could fit on a single, admittedly large, keyring. Probably true for other brands too. Our car keys were stolen while we were away for a trip, and when we got back and called a locksmith, he didn't do anything high tech, he just came with the keyring, and within a minute had found the key and cut two copies.

In 1992 I got a Lexus LS400. At that time in the NYC area there must have been a billion of them on the road that were white with tan interior. Mine was one. After work one day I went to the garage to pick up my car. The attendant who knew me didn't wait for my ticket, just went and brought my car up. I jumped in and was about to drive home, but first turned on the radio. The preset I hit didn't work. That was my first clue this wasn't my car. :crying: