TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S Convertible

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Matthias Buhl, Apr 7, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Matthias Buhl

Matthias Buhl Member

2. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

I don't speak German but IMO this Model S Convertible is done in the USA by US-Tuner Newport. So not by Tesla.

3. nikwest

nikwest Member

But it says that they are working with Tesla and that there is a Chinese investor behind it, who has ordered 100 cars.
    The photos/renderings look pretty nice actually ...

4. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Ok as I said I don't understand German. Hope to see soon the Model S Convertible.

5. nikwest

nikwest Member

Well, to be really accurate it says that they are in talks with Tesla ;-)

I am wondering how much this affects crash safety. Probably won't ever come to Europe I guess ... if at all.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Wow that sounds like a very expensive conversion. The front windshield surround would need to be redesigned to meet rollover standards.

I think it would be cool to keep the B pillar and roof cross brace and finish it in stainless steel for a vintage Porsche 911 Targa look (which Porsche is about to resurrect, by the way)

7. Monsoon

Monsoon Member

The top photo (white car) has an alpha or beta-vesrion front-end, tail lights are wrong, and a gas-fill cover above the rear wheel. Smells like Photoshop.

8. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

The white picture is a photo shop of a Porsche. Look at this article for the real image before Bild changed it Tesla Model S Convertible - 100 Confirmed Orders - 5,000 Model S EVs Requested | Inside EVs - that article appears to be the source of what Bild is reporting
    Edited: nope, I take it back. Carscoops had this much earlier: NCE Says it Received 100 Orders for Tesla Model S Convertible from China, Conversion Starts at $29k - Carscoops -- and they have the same white picture. It's definitely a photo shop job, but I'm less convinced that it's based on the Porsche upon closer study...

9. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

Ugly IMO

10. jedininja

jedininja Member

would be an interesting feature to have on the S!

11. stephenpace

stephenpace VIN S00219

No need, the Model S doesn't roll over. :) And if you do aftermarket mods like that to your car, will the government even know? This guy orders 100 cars, puts them on a boat, and does his thing.

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Your insurance company may take a dim view.

13. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

"..in talks with Tesla..." actually means "..we asked them and they said no, but we're going to keep talking about it anyway..."

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1091333_want-a-tesla-model-s-convertible-newport-engineering-says-itll-build-you-one
    - - - Updated - - -

http://www.gtspirit.com/2014/04/08/nce-receives-100-convertible-tesla-model-s-orders-looking-for-tesla-collab/
    - - - Updated - - -

http://insideevs.com/tesla-model-s-convertible-100-confirmed-orders-5000-units-requested/
    This is odd. They're going to ship them around the world to convert the cars and then ship them on to China?

14. Chris Naps

Chris Naps Member

All I can say is.. I hope it doesn't look like the photo in the article..

15. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

I wouldn't take any of this too seriously, as the photo-shopped image is based on an early alpha prototype. Makes you wonder if they even know the difference.

16. Ufrugger

Ufrugger Member

#16 Ufrugger, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

17. Ufrugger

Ufrugger Member

#17 Ufrugger, Jul 10, 2014

18. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

#18 Raffy.Roma, Jul 11, 2014
    Cool! :cool:

Actually I would like that Tesla produced also The Model S Convertible, Coupè and Station Wagon. IMO the more the Models the better it is.

19. Ufrugger

Ufrugger Member

#19 Ufrugger, Jul 23, 2014

This video update posted last week. I think it's looking pretty cool, but will be interesting to see how it looks with the top 'up'. Here's a quick screen grab.

TMSC.png

20. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

It was bound to happen.
    [video]http://news.yahoo.com/video/huntington-beach-company-creates-first-155306738.html[/video]