TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Coupe?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by akula, May 7, 2013.

1. akula

akula Member

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Been there.

GenIII g.jpg

3. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

Why would they do this? The car just doesn't scream "coupe" to me. Seems a bit too big for that kind of role.

I would expect to see it in GenIII though. A lot of folks are expecting a shrunken version of the Model S, and there isn't anything wrong with the coupe styling at all. Just doesn't make sense on a big luxury vehicle.

4. akula

akula Member

I thought this other rendering from carbuzz is a lot more "possible"

5. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

Yes, this concept (for Gen III) is the one I've seen before. I think it looks nice and is a good idea. Model S though? Not so much.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to clarify, I think the pictures they are using of a "Model S Coupe" look gorgeous. But typical coupes don't have as large of a back seat area. Turns all that real estate into wasted space.

6. akula

akula Member

I don't know, mercedes sells a ton of CLs that are based on the S class. I think there is a market, and it fits the 100k+ buyer profile well IMO

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

In a car that has volumes of space, then what?

- - - Updated - - -

8678980313_aa0d0d4ba0_o.jpg 8678980317_543cff2333_o.jpg

8. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

^ that looks awesome

9. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

Dear Tesla,

Please change my order to this!

10. ipdamages

ipdamages Roadster Sports 835 & 972

#10 ipdamages, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
    who wants a 2-door that is 196" long? there is to my knowledge no such car currently on the market. with the longer doors it would be impossible to park it next to another car and open the doors - especially given the extreme width of 77".

i like the proportions - for gen 3 - but for model S it seems so contrary to the platform.

here is the 2008 aston martin db9, which is 185" long and 74" wide. adding another 11" of length and 3" of width is not something that i would want in a 2-door as it would either make the doors even longer or make the doors relatively smaller compared to the other panels.

2008 Aston Martin DB9 Base Coupe 5.9L V12 6-speed Automatic Features and Specs

2008 db9.jpg

11. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

This describes the Mercedes CL Class. The current version is 199.4 inches. It's only 73.7 inches wide, though. I have the older W215 version and I love it.

12. fluxemag

fluxemag Member

I would 100% have chosen the 2 door if available. My last 4 cars have been coupes. The bigger the better.

13. ipdamages

ipdamages Roadster Sports 835 & 972

#13 ipdamages, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
    i suppose this is one way to deal with the doors/width issue on the CL class!

lsd-mercedes-cl.jpg

and i'm acutely aware that not everyone has my tastes, and in particular that many people like driving very large cars. near me it seems that the majority of vehicles on the road are huge SUVs, being driven solo, and the drivers aren't very good at looking out for others (and certainly not a small car like a roadster) or staying in their lanes/parking spaces. "the bigger the better" is certainly not for me, but i'm very happy that for those who are going to drive such vehicles there is now a more eco-friendly alternative to consider, and the sale of which will help in the development of better EVs in the future that are of a more modest size.