Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S "CPO" vs. Standard Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I forget but it's A LOT. I'm thinking driving across Kansas we were steady between 500 and 600. Coming back I remember catching a tail wind which was nice.

For bugs, I pretty much just wipe it down with a wash cloth. Trestle Bike Park tends to add some dents and dings to my bike anyway, so I've never been one to worry too much. ;)

Thanks! I always thought putting MTBs on the roof would increase consumption dramatically and get our bikes wet, dirty and buggy so we put them inside if we take our Tesla. On long road trips we carry them in a sealed GearSpace 34 on the back of our RV... but have to disassemble them to make them fit. PITA but safer since they're out of sight, weather, bugs, dirt, etc.

I have a Model S 75D that I bought used as a 60D, then upgraded for $2k. I also had one of the early Model 3 Long Range models.

For me, the Model S wins hands-down, even though it is too large for my needs. The Model 3 is wonderful, and super fun to drive. But it lacks a display in front of the driver, emergency door releases in the back (you cannot open the doors mechanically from the inside, if the power is out), and the trunk is impractical for me.

If I was on your budget, I would probably look for a 2015 70D with an extended warranty. Or consider financing a portion of the added cost, so you can get what you want. Then keep it for a long time...

I've read there is some controversy re: SC near 100 of the time. If it's convenient does it truly hurt the battery? Is it the speed/amps? What if you throttle amps?
There is no solid proof that it will significantly damage the battery, but certainly, consider to SC only as needed, and to less than 90% percent generally. Per EM and JB tweets, I keep it stored at 50-60%, and try to keep the charge level during driving 30-80%.

If treating the battery well increases the life by say 25%, and a new battery out of warranty is 20K years from now, then it would take about 10 years of FUSC savings to break even. It has been said many times, just follow the manual and enjoy the car, don't worry about the Batt.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Found out later it had the awesome Plus Suspension and had Tesla upgrade it to Ludicrous, so now it is a "unicorn" P85D+ especially with the rare super sporty NextGen "Recaro" Seats front and rear PLUS staggered Arachnid wheels and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.

Give "Pegasus" a tap on the roof and let him know he has new fan over here! Virtually no chance to grab such a unique combination where I live.

"Interceptor" looks at me every morning and says "Dad can I have a Ludi upgrade?". I honestly don't know what to tell him? Thanks God he does not know he doesn't have +Suspension and Cold Pack.

How special can our cars become to us.... They are financially, emotionally and practically so linked to what we do and what we think it becomes at times hard to differ them from family members or pets.

OP here. Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I think I’m going to camp out on ev-cpo.com for the next 8 months and wait for the right 70D to come along under 40k. I wonder what an additional half year will do to these used prices. Fingers crossed.

Oh, if anyone has an early/mid MS they want to part with, PM me and let me know what you’re asking for it.