TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S Crash Test Ratings

Discussion in 'Model S' started by rogbmw, Apr 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Looks like it. Many of the people in the picture are holding up their hand indication either Tesla is #1 or it's the first car.

Yep, below the picture on the blog post:

2. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

It's great news that Tesla Motors was able to achieve that prestigious 5 star rating. Congratulations!!!... now on to the business of selling cars.

3. Adm

Adm Active Member

Not quite yet! The certification testing seems to indicate that when NHTSA will do their tests, Model S will receive 5 stars. The certification crash tests are merely a test to pass the minimum safety standards.

4. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Which however may happen only a few months after deliveries start.

5. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

NHTSA already announced which 2012 MY cars they would test and the Model S was not one of them.

NHTSA Announces List of 2012 Vehicles to Be Tested - KickingTires

Maybe next year?

Regarding plug-ins, last year they tested the Leaf and the Volt. Oddly enough, this year they will test the Coda, though perhaps because they're wary of that Chinese chassis.

6. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

I fully understand this and only something major can stop the rating. So please explain why did TM create the orange cars and called them the "crash cars" if more testing is still needed? I think at this stage in the process, the NHTSA and Tesla Motors just need to formalize the results.

7. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

This what was posted at the bottom of the web page:

By Colin Bird | October 17, 2011

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I think this is a case of vendor self-certification with random checks by a government agency, to keep the vendors honest. This is common practice for electrical safety and EMI product certification, for example, in many countries.

9. doug

?? Not sure I get your point.

Yes, this list was released last October. Come sometime this October, the 2012 MY tests will probably be finished and the 2013 MY list will likely be released.

10. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Voltage makes me tingle.

I wonder why Elon would make a public tweet about a 5 star rating and yet, weeks later, Tesla hasn't officially mentioned it at all?

11. loganss

loganss Spaceman

Ditto. I was also expecting some official announcement.

12. doug

Like I said, as far as I can tell NHTSA won't be testing the Model S this year.

13. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913

I think Todd and Logan were expecting Tesla to be making an official announcement - via a blog post or as part of the Model S FAQs - that, at their end, the results merit a 5-star rating (to be confirmed by NHTSA if and when they test the Model S).

Elon's tweet being the only public communication on this front is too 'informal', I guess...

14. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Wouldn't it be a problem if they make an official announcement when the NHTSA hasn't tested it?

15. doug

My guess is that statement is based entirely on Elon's tweet. A slightly related Tesla press release had this to say:
    Tesla Motors to Begin Customer Deliveries of Model S on June 22nd | Press Releases | Tesla Motors
    Followed by the boiler plate:

16. AndyM

AndyM Member

I don't think that article is accurate:

Although the Model S has not received a crash test rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the company said in a statement that it has completed Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards tests, allowing the Model S to go on sale.

“The star rating is assigned by NHTSA after they perform their own validation test. Tesla has completed all required FMVSS tests and we believe that the performance we have observed will yield a five-star rating from NHTSA,” Tesla said in a statement.

Source: http://www.autonews.com/article/20120522/OEM05/120529983#ixzz1wlaRMN2O

17. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Perhaps... I'm not sure, I think they said some time ago they were trying to improve one of the tests by modifying airbags. If so, they might re-do one of the tests when they receive these modified airbags (for an even better result).

18. engle

engle Member

Elon stated unequivocally during the June 6th, 2012 Annual Meeting of Shareholders I attended (paraphrased, a recording of the webcast is not available yet):

Model S received 5-star ratings for ALL NHTSA tests. In fact, we exceeded them. If 6 stars were available, we would have received 6. He gave an example of side impact testing. The test rig slams into vehicles at a certain known point in their sides. Some companies (which of course he did not name!) take adventage of this by re-inforcing the sides at the point of test impact to get a higher star rating. Tesla, on the other hand, asked themselves: "Where is the weakest area on the side of our vehicle?" And the Model S was strengthened in that area -- an area that is not even tested!

After I saw Elon's presentation and participated in the Q&A afterwards, I bought more TSLA shares. If you check the stock, you'll notice it increased by a higher percentage than the overall market on June 6th. :biggrin: (Please don't do anything regarding the stock because of any of my posts!)

19. Bearman

Bearman Member

If this wasn't Elon id think it was too good to be true, but this is really good news. I loved the comment "we would have received 6 stars" that's so Elon :biggrin: