TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S Crash Test Ratings

Discussion in 'Model S' started by rogbmw, Apr 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

He also mentioned:
    The rear impact is tested to 35, but they tested to about 50. About 3-4 times the energy involved. And tested an impact that connected with only half the rear to make sure that much focused energy on a portion of the rear wasn't an issue.
    The roll cage is designed to withstand 4 times the weight of the vehicle. If it rolls, there shouldn't be any issues with a roof collapse.

2. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

That's great to hear. One person commenting on a Petersen article claimed that Tesla's spot welding of aluminum body panels was a bad idea and would lead to tearing on impact. I didn't buy it but it's good to have crash test data that supports their methods.

3. todd6678

todd6678 Member

As happy as I am to hear the testing went phenomenal and the Model S will be an exceptionally safe, the real tests won't be completed and published until 2013.

Did Elon or Tesla mention or hint at a follow on offering?

4. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

This bodes very well for Model X and for costs related to future crash testing.

5. PeterW

PeterW Member

When will Model S safety ratings be announced? | Forums | Tesla Motors

I am more than a little surprised at the time-line here for a vehicle that began production in june 2012

6. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

It's not uncommon.

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

From the Tesla Blog:
    "The National Highway Transportation Safety Board (NHTSA) has reserved their cars for crash testing and will receive delivery in the order in which we receive their final order. It is likely they will receive their cars in spring/summer of 2013 and will conduct their tests sometime thereafter. We have designed and engineered Model S to achieve a five-star crash rating and look forward to their tests being completed."

I was talking with George B the other night, and he says the NHTSA is waiting for their cars just like the rest of us. The NHTSA normally buys cars at dealers on their own so that manufacturers don't provide "tweaked" cars that might perform better.

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

But only something like 60% of the cars ever get tested, so there's never been 100% coverage. I'm actually kind of surprised the NHTSA ordered this early.

9. doug

Seems to me they've shown special interest in testing EVs, which is odd when you consider the relatively low sales volume. They've tested both the Leaf and the Volt. They even tested the Coda which has sold in numbers approaching double digits.

10. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

11. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

To test them, they have to buy them, so maybe that's their way to contribute to innovation... :)

12. doug

13. PeterW

PeterW Member

I just thought I remembered Elon saying that the crash test ratings would be official early in 2013. Must have heard that wrong

14. Elshout

Elshout Member

15. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Right, that's what everyone says when they mash the accelerator by accident and drive into something. I wonder if Tesla logs could prove otherwise?

16. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

Blaming someone else for the accident... Surprise surprise.

The "I touched the brakes but the car accelerated" excuse is not going to work in this case. Tesla has the data. I hope they come after this woman as hard as they did after Broder if the data shows she lied.

Ask Toyota how many sales they lost due to the "unintended acceleration" lies. Or ask Audi.

If the data shows she lied, go after her for slander Tesla.

17. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Not accessible by Tesla unless she gives permission (assuming she owns the car). If she takes it to court though, the court might legitimately be able to request the data though.

18. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Roadster 1305

I seem to recall reading somewhere of some drivers of the Model S finding that it was easy to accidentally push on both the accelerator and the brake at the same time due to the positioning/spacing of the 2 pedals. Indeed, I found I did it myself once on our Model S when I was wearing hiking boots. So long as the the software gives the brake precedence and the brake pedal sensor detects the movement before the accelerator pedal sensor detects movement, it is probably not a big deal. But I remember being surprised when I found my boot catching both pedals at once—that never happened on my Roadster or any other car I have driven.

19. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Don't most cars have the A pedal set slightly lower than the brake pedal? This should mean that when pressing both with one foot the brake should be applied first.
    Worth noting that if you do a quick Google search on "woman drives into restaurant" you get a number of similar tales, older woman trying to park or pull out of a parking space. Of course one of them was also inhaling keyboard cleaner at the same time, so she had an excuse :biggrin:

20. Grendal

Grendal SpaceX Moderator

Unless the story hits the national news it's not a big enough deal to make a fuss about.

I would be shocked if this becomes a big story. There were no injuries and the damage seems minor. The only news in this is the fact that the car was a Model S. Any reporter should reach the same conclusion that we did - 71 year old lady's foot slipped off the brake.