Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S crash worthiness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited by a moderator:
So according to this video, in order to achieve a 5 star rating the following systems will need to be in place:
1. Electronic Stability control
2. Forward Collision Warning
3. Lane Departure warning.

We can then assume that these will be standard features on the model S?

Last edited:
The text appears to say that Model S not only has ESC as required, but also additional features not required, including TCS.

Just wanted to add a quote of the part I'm referring to:

Tesla has developed an ESC system for the upcoming Model S, which is scheduled to be introduced in the United States in 2012. Tesla also states that it has included a number of features not mandated by the FMVSSs, including the TCS system discussed earlier.

I wasn't in a good position (Beta car in the way!) but they were showing crash test video on the screen during the "how many people can fit in an S" demo today:

There was a whole mini-TV studio behind the screen. I beta Tesla has good quality video and audio of these presentations... If they ever want to use them for something.

Well it seems that they are saying they want 5 stars in every category... "Safest car on the road".
Lets hope they are right and the final tests prove that.

Doug got a less obstructed video of the screen here:

Wow, the front of the car gets folded into nothing... The absence of an ICE allows the body to absorb much more energy and reduce the impact on the passengers.

I asked one of the reps in the tent after the test ride what happens to the cargo inside the frunk during an impact like in the video. I was reassured none of the items can get pushed into the passengers and driver and harm them. There was that one exception, being swords in the frunk. :)