Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Crashes into Store Front. Driver Doesn't Blame Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

S'toon

Knows where his towel is
Apr 23, 2015
AB
Now THIS is newsworthy.
Well, that’s a change. Last month, we published a report about the several instances of Tesla owners blaming their vehicles for ‘sudden acceleration events’ causing crashes. While Tesla’s logs and an independent review showed that driver mistakes were most likely the cause of the crashes, the owners continued to blame the vehicles.

Two of the accidents involved Tesla vehicles crashing into businesses: a Model S crashed into a gym in Florida and a Model X crashed into a beauty salon in California.

A similar accident happened last night in Trois-Rivières, Quebec. A Tesla Model S drove through the vitrine of a store causing a lot of damages, but fortunately, no customer or employee was in the store at the moment of the crash.

For a change with this type of accident involving a Tesla, the driver admitted that it was her mistake and didn’t blame it on the vehicle or the Autopilot system.

The picture above shows the aftermath of the crash via Le Nouvelliste (French).

The publication reports that while parked in front of the store, the driver thought that the Model S was on ‘reverse’ when she pressed the accelerator. She was actually on ‘drive’ and the car went through the front window and stopped right in the middle of the store.

No need for Tesla to produce the logs for this accident.

<snip>
Full article at:
Tesla Model S crashes into a store, driver admits error and doesn’t blame Autopilot

Did this model have autopilot? The reason I ask is that I don't understand why the system lets the car hit a solid surface.Maybe a large glass window would not be taken as "solid". I have a P85 (no auto pilot). I know mine would not have the ability to do so. I think I heard that the car have to be going past a certain speed to have the car apply the brakes. Does anyone have any info on this?

I have a friend that has a S75D and a car pulled out in front of him and his car applied the brakes rather abruptly and stopped the collision. I think he was going about 30 or so MPH.

Did this model have autopilot? The reason I ask is that I don't understand why the system lets the car hit a solid surface.Maybe a large glass window would not be taken as "solid". I have a P85 (no auto pilot). I know mine would not have the ability to do so. I think I heard that the car have to be going past a certain speed to have the car apply the brakes. Does anyone have any info on this?

I have a friend that has a S75D and a car pulled out in front of him and his car applied the brakes rather abruptly and stopped the collision. I think he was going about 30 or so MPH.

Even if the car did have autopilot hardware, there are various driver actions that defeat Automatic Emergency Braking, including pressing the accelerator and turning the steering wheel. Plus an operator can have it disabled in the settings.

I would think that pressing the accelerator would disable the autopilot or auto braking system.

I was showing off my car to my sister last week and let her drive it. One question she had while stopped at a red light was, If I press the accelerator will I rear end the car in front of us? Or will the AEB prevent it? I immediately said Yes you will and don't try it! :)
Running into storefronts is actually quite common, I would like to see some way of the car refusing to move in those situations.

In the current embodiment of AEB within the Autopilot package it doesn't activate the brakes for stopped objects. At least not in any consistent manner. It does seem to consistently work well when it's a moving object that is detected by both the camera, and the radar. That's why it worked so well for your friend.

The AEB system in the Tesla also doesn't cut-off the throttle (at least not officially) when an object is detected. For example if you tried to run a Tesla Model S with AP & 8.0 firmware into a wall @25mph it would let you. But, if you tried to run a Subaru with Eyesight into a wall at 25mph it wouldn't let you the first three times (or something like that), and after that it gives up and lets you do whatever. On the Subaru it has throttle management with AEB.

With AP 2.0 who knows. That system is going to be so advanced it can probably ask the driver to please stop trying to run into buildings.

In the current embodiment of AEB within the Autopilot package it doesn't activate the brakes for stopped objects. At least not in any consistent manner. It does seem to consistently work well when it's a moving object that is detected by both the camera, and the radar. That's why it worked so well for your friend.

The AEB system in the Tesla also doesn't cut-off the throttle (at least not officially) when an object is detected. For example if you tried to run a Tesla Model S with AP & 8.0 firmware into a wall @25mph it would let you. But, if you tried to run a Subaru with Eyesight into a wall at 25mph it wouldn't let you the first three times (or something like that), and after that it gives up and lets you do whatever. On the Subaru it has throttle management with AEB.

With AP 2.0 who knows. That system is going to be so advanced it can probably ask the driver to please stop trying to run into buildings.

Thanks for the clarification. Interesting.

Thank goodness for the pillows :cool:

upload_2016-10-22_19-33-34.png

But it would disengage AEB.

The behavior has changed in 8.0 or will change soon in an incremental update to 8.0.

Previously (and maybe still in 8.0) if you had the brake on during an AEB event it wouldn't trigger
What's planned (and maybe in 8.0) is if you have the brake on it will amplify the braking.

From the blog post
  • Automatic braking will now amplify user braking in emergencies

Last edited: