Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S creep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Stuart

Roadster#326, ModelS#1409
Supporting Member
May 23, 2009
San Jose, CA
I took my Model S test drive today. I expect most first-time Tesla drivers at the event were excited about how fast the car accelerated and handled at speed, but I had no doubts about that aspect of the Model S performance. I was more interested in how much control I had at low speeds. (You may recognize my name from my previous thread Automatic creep makes it impossible to come to a smooth stop.)

A seven-minute drive is not much time to get a feel for how a car handles, but in my short drive I can report that the Model S still has slight creep, but much less than the Roadster. Sitting with the car in Drive with no foot on either pedal, the car does creep forward slowly, but coming to a smooth stop in Drive seemed much easier than in the Roadster — much less of a sense that the motor (trying to make it go) was fighting the brakes (trying to make it stop).

I'm interested to hear other people's impressions of their test drives.

The whole start/stop accelerate, etc., was really really intuitive for me. First time driving any EV for me and it... just... worked.

It doesn't seem to want to go immediately after putting into drive from park. Just sat there. So I poked the go pedal and it went then crept after I took foot off pedal again. And then I realized I'd forgotten to adjust the seat and mirrors. :redface:

Pulling photos onto computer now. Will sort and throw onto iGoogle in a bit. Getting dinner now.

Last edited:
I took my Model S test drive today.

I'm interested to hear other people's impressions of their test drives.

I was told that the computer starts dialing down regen as you get to creep speed, and you automatically foot over to brake as you near a stop, and the brakes do the final 10 feet. Not near the creep an automatic tranny has but just feels right.

I was mightily impressed with the ease and naturalness of the single foot driving. In about 30 seconds it just seems automatic, an extension of your mind. No thought. Pull foot gently back to quit accelerating, a little more, hold speed, a little more, start slowing gently. Pull foot off all the way, regen starts slowing gently at high speed, picks up a fair amount at 35 or so, down to around 10, where it backs off. Your foot is now automatically on the brake and regen disappears seamlessly as you come to a stop. Regen varies with the speed. So pulling your foot off at freeway speeds doesn't snap your neck (freeway speeds of 100 mph, luckily no cops).

This is truly one of the most intelligent cars I have ever driven -- Non Performance. Beautiful. Went around a corner they were saying looked like a 25 mph curve, I would rate it at 35, they suggested trying it at 55, and I took at 75 (closed road, no traffic). No lean, no skid (all purpose tires on 19" rims), no discomfort. The car about drives itself. An extension of your brain. It is absolutely wonderful, amazing, fantastic, futuristic, the way cars should be.

Please tell me when mine will be ready!!!!

... snip ...
This is truly one of the most intelligent cars I have ever driven -- Non Performance. Beautiful. Went around a corner they were saying looked like a 25 mph curve, I would rate it at 35, they suggested trying it at 55, and I took at 75 (closed road, no traffic). No lean, no skid (all purpose tires on 19" rims), no discomfort. The car about drives itself. An extension of your brain. It is absolutely wonderful, amazing, fantastic, futuristic, the way cars should be.

Please tell me when mine will be ready!!!!
Ditto, except performance. Power to spare at every point. Took the first sweeping left hand corner at 75 or so, was really smooth. Took the right hand at top of bridge going 60, I think, used both lanes... maybe a little slide on the 21", maybe not. It was just so rock solid and predictable. I've driven nothing like it before.

Took the surface streets like normal traffic and it was so quiet, so well mannered. Fiddled with the lumbar support a bit, talked with passengers, I asked about the dash and the customer support guy tried to play with the dash but turns out the speedo dash might not let you change the configuration while you are traveling down the road at 40mph. Safety feature? Makes sense to disable that sort of thing while driving; don't want to change around dash by accident either.

Yeah saw that video too... Very odd since one review definitely mentioned it
I think it is a problem with the definition of creep... seems most folks are referring to the car wanting to creep forward right after you take your foot off the brake pedal, like most automatic transmissions do these days.

The car didn't do that for me, that I recall. If I wanted to go, I needed to press the 'go' pedal.

However the car doesn't regen to a stop. That's the 'creep' that I found; it is like coasting, but not really.

It just feels right when driving too. It seems perfectly natural that the car does this.

I think it is a problem with the definition of creep... seems most folks are referring to the car wanting to creep forward right after you take your foot off the brake pedal, like most automatic transmissions do these days.

The car didn't do that for me, that I recall. If I wanted to go, I needed to press the 'go' pedal.

However the car doesn't regen to a stop. That's the 'creep' that I found; it is like coasting, but not really.

It just feels right when driving too. It seems perfectly natural that the car does this.

This sounds perfect! Many months ago I had given some feedback to Tesla about creep, but they suggested that creep was going to have to happen due to regulations (I didn't investigate further). So if "creep" is just forcing you to use the brake to completely stop, I'm good with that. I'm used to no creep with my electric motorcycle, and I absolutely love it. This news makes me happy (like most of the other stuff I'm reading today).

Thanks everyone!!!!!!

Ah, that could be the confusion. I did enjoy the amount of regen in the car. I think as a more "mainstream" car the amount of regen is perfect and the amount of creep when coming to a stop is great.

Reposting from the other thread:

Put in Drive with the selector stalk, the car began to creep forward, at a slow pace fine for stop-and-go traffic or seeking a space in a crowded parking lot. Then I touched the accelerator. The response was instantaneous. A push of my foot, and the car surged forward. It took very little to make the car move, and in my initial flirtation with the Model S, I felt the accelerator might even be too sensitive, at least for crawling around residential streets at the posted limits.

From Tesla Model S first drive: Quiet satisfaction | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews

Reposting from the other thread:
ut in Drive with the selector stalk, the car began to creep forward, at a slow pace fine for stop-and-go traffic or seeking a space in a crowded parking lot. Then I touched the accelerator. The response was instantaneous. A push of my foot, and the car surged forward. It took very little to make the car move, and in my initial flirtation with the Model S, I felt the accelerator might even be too sensitive, at least for crawling around residential streets at the posted limits.
From Tesla Model S first drive: Quiet satisfaction | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews
That's what I was expecting too. So was a little surprising I needed to push the pedal after putting into drive.

On the other hand... I was pretty go go go go on the test drive. If it crept after a light or similar, I just might not have noticed since I just wanted to make it GO again. :smile: