Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S curb weights and speculation about weight of components

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. First, the data:

Curb weight, in pounds
4407 60
4721 70D
4630 85
4849 85D
4963 P85D

This is from the owner's manual in the car.

Here's my question: can you figure out the weight of components from this? For example, the difference between an 85 and an 85D is
- the 85 has a heavier motor
- the 85D has a front motor and associated electrical and mechanical drivetrain components

Is it the exact same difference between a 60 and a 70D? If so, then the difference in battery pack weight seems to be 95 pounds. Does this provide evidence that the 70D has more cells, or is there a more energy density per cell but higher mass per cell 18650 available?

How much do the two different types of motors weigh? How much do you think the additional drivetrain components for the front wheel drive weigh? What accounts for the difference between the 85D and P85D?

Some of these questions may be difficult to answer due to different options coming standard with different models. For example, does the P85D weight assume 21" wheels? For a while there they were requiring 21" wheels with the P85D, though they seem to have changed their mind again on that.

In short: does anyone actually know how much the different battery packs, motors, drive controllers and mechanical drivetrain components weigh?

As far as I know, there are only three motors. Standard, Performance, and Front. I don't believe there is a Front Performance, though I could be wrong about that. The battery packs are 85, 70, 60. The difference between the standard motor and the performance motor is in the inverter and wiring, so not much weight difference there. There might be no difference in the newest versions and the difference is all in software (I can't recall any posts one way or the other on the latest motors.)

As far as I know, there are only three motors. Standard, Performance, and Front. I don't believe there is a Front Performance, though I could be wrong about that.

I think that's correct. The Model S order page shows an 85D as having 422 hp, and the P85D 221hp front, 470 hp rear. The 85D has the two smaller motors: 2 * 221 = 422. Sort of. :) Close enough that I don't think there's a difference in the front motors.

The battery packs are 85, 70, 60. The difference between the standard motor and the performance motor is in the inverter and wiring, so not much weight difference there. There might be no difference in the newest versions and the difference is all in software (I can't recall any posts one way or the other on the latest motors.)

The 85 is rated at 362 hp, the rear motor of a P85D at 470 hp. I agree, I always gathered that the difference between the two was primarily the inverter and wiring, which would not be a large amount.

But look at the weight of the P85D versus the 85 - an extra 333 pounds. Is that how much the front drivetrain weighs, minus a small difference between the non-P and P inverter? It seems like a lot, but it does have to include a fair bit of mechanical complexity up front.

It's amazing to think that the 85D weighs 5% more than the 85 and yet the 85D is more efficient.