Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Dash Trim impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for that. I think whoever said that they may use different lacewood patterns for lighter vs darker interior was right. That doesn't look like the lacewood I saw and took pics of (to my eye anyways)

Thanks for that. I think whoever said that they may use different lacewood patterns for lighter vs darker interior was right. That doesn't look like the lacewood I saw and took pics of (to my eye anyways)
Just a suspicion of mine. I went with the lacewood anyway with the black perf interior as more an act of faith than anything else.

We'll find out before too long, eh?

I'm not a fan of wood in cars either, so I'll be opting for the piano black. Yes, it's shiny, but I think it provides a nice contrast to the matte leather. The silver model at the Portland store had it paired with black leather interior, and it looked really great.

I just wish you could get carbon fibre on the non-performance Model S. The performance version is out of the question for me.

MB sells an AMG trim package for those wanting the badging and look of the AMG but not the full engine/price. I can't see why Tesla wouldn't want to do the same. If I want to pay for grey wheels or carbon matte trim, why not? They make more money without much complication. We are not talking about manufacturing new things. Just slapping on option a or option b on the assembly line. I like the grey wheels on my non-perf car but now someone other than Tesla is going to get my $4000. Not too smart if you ask me.

MB sells an AMG trim package for those wanting the badging and look of the AMG but not the full engine/price. I can't see why Tesla wouldn't want to do the same. If I want to pay for grey wheels or carbon matte trim, why not? They make more money without much complication. We are not talking about manufacturing new things. Just slapping on option a or option b on the assembly line. I like the grey wheels on my non-perf car but now someone other than Tesla is going to get my $4000. Not too smart if you ask me.

But doesn't that devalue the upgrade for those that paid for it? If the upgraded version and the nonupgraded version look the same, there's going to be people that won't bother with the upgrade. That'll cost Tesla some money too. Though I do agree that it does make sense to allow some of the upgrade options to be available piecemeal .... just need to be careful about the pricing and keep some options exclusive.

Well sticking with the MB example here, I don't think the real AMGs are devalued because of this. Do you? Lots of MBs out there with AMG wheels or AMG steering wheel but you know a true AMG when you drive one. I think the "exclusivity" idea is a self imposed marketing trap for the manufacturer with no real merit. Again, you just have to look and see if AMG owners are up in arms about how their cars are devalued (or not)...

Well sticking with the MB example here, I don't think the real AMGs are devalued because of this. Do you? Lots of MBs out there with AMG wheels or AMG steering wheel but you know a true AMG when you drive one. I think the "exclusivity" idea is a self imposed marketing trap for the manufacturer with no real merit. Again, you just have to look and see if AMG owners are up in arms about how their cars are devalued (or not)...

+1 Especially with a new car company, making people choose compromises (to them) when what they want is available is not the way to build customer satisfaction. Gloss vs matt is about safety (not getting blinded by reflections), not about aesthetics (like Signature red).

I dont think anyone really cares about the badging though. What possible harm to a performance owner could there be to having the carbon fiber interior trim on a lower end S?

Not to the owner, but to Tesla. I'm getting the performance model, and a big part of that is wanting the CF interior and the dark wheels. If I could get those alone for a lot less than the whole package I'd seriously consider going that way instead as the actual added performance is not worth a lot to me. Then Tesla would surely earn less money...