Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Dashboard and console controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I can set Valet Mode with the tattler.

Update, not sure ... let me check. Here is the complete list of commands I have in my phone:

Help
Command? – returns status
MODE Storage|Standard|Range|Performance – sets the car mode
CHARGE Start|Stop|Topoff|Now
CHARGE Last - #of kwh and duration of last charge
LIM <amps> (LIMIT) – sets the charge current limit
MONITOR on|off
MONITOR [n minutes|n miles|n %SOC] – sets notify update rate
MONITOR end|done (only update at stop or done)
LOCK <pin>
UNLOCK <pin>
COOL on|off|<temp> -on off or sets target temp
COOL HERE – set the cooldown location
COOL <n> MIN – set max cooldown period
COOL NOW
STAT? – car status
LAST? – kwhrs used and duration of last charge
GPS? – returns link to current location of car
IDENT? – Tattler version, car VIN, FW version

Was checking out the Automotive section on Nvidia website since the boasted about Model S integrating Tegra technology and noticed possible future additions to the Model S / Model X functionality :

Night vision, Pedestrian detection, Speed limit sign recognition
Hopefully, Tesla kept some option to locate a front facing camera around the mirror ...

Also, a perfect fit for Model X : Rear Seat Entertainment

That DOES look good for the Model X! During my conversation with George at the event this weekend I expressed my opinion that the Model X needs to have an RES to be targeted at families with small children... he was noncommittal, which is probably a good thing.

Honestly, with the prices manufacturers charge for these things, your kids are probably better off with an iPad or Kindle Fire or similar.

Our A6 has the night vision and pedestrian detection. I find it more of a gimmick than useful (especially since, in their implementation, you have to look down to see it and take your eyes off the road). The speed limit recognition would be cool, but I believe our car just gets the speed limits from the maps database it uses. I'm sure the S could do similar and save cost.

Safety in a crash situation is the only issue with that. Remember this (at 1:43)?!

Fair point, but that'll go for just about any item that's loose in a vehicle. These guys just put out a rubberized tablet for kids: nabi - The everything tablet that grows with you (or are going to, I forget, they emailed to ask for permission to post our apps). It'll hurt if it flies into your head, but shouldn't make salsa ;)

You could also rubberband it to the back of the seat :p

Anyone out there got an image enhancer? I was wondering what this says:

Untitled.png

Any guesses -- based on the numbers or the text length -- what the three columns might logically be? The "A" and "B" of the TRIP METERS row is pretty obvious. Maybe rough guess at the rest help our "human enhance" of the images.

As a starting point, here's what I think I see...

Code:
                  [SIZE=4]SINCE LAST CHARGE[/SIZE]
XXXX XXXXXX     TOTAL XXXXXXXX     XXX XXXXXXX
41.8 mi         16.5 kWh           396 Wh/mi

[SIZE=4]TRIP METERS[/SIZE]
138.5 mi        49.8 kWh           360 Wh/mi    A
232.8 mi        98.2 kWh           422 Wh/mi    B

Edit: Updated to insert doug's unit guesses, and my guess at the word "TOTAL".

Notes about the video:
1. I think in the screenshot/video the "W" is wide in the font.
2. The odometer shows 348 mi.
3. At the 1:27 mark, the Wh/mile charge shows wild fluctuations between 700+ and -400ish (regen). This seems to support that all 3 of the values in column 3 are reasonable as Wh/mile values.
4. If anybody seriously wants to try to "enhance" the image, you'll want to set your software to look at the frames beginning around the 1:47 mark.

Last edited:
If the numbers listed in the three columns are A, B, and C then it appears C = (B/A)*1000

My guess is A = miles, B = kWh, and C = Wh/mile

That usage seems a bit high, but I guess these are test drives where people have been gunning it.
Agreed. And the labels for those units seem to line up properly. I'll update my post.

Last edited:
[For comparison]
Here was my drive to/from Refuel races (Palo Alto <-> Monterey) in the LEAF:
carwings1.jpg

33200Wh/175.8 miles = 188 Wh/mile
(Less than half of what that Model S shows... But I was trying to stretch my range, and drafting behind trucks at every occasion.
Travel time shows on the high side since I left the car on while L2 charging to keep the air-conditioner going for a while as I waited.)

Moral: the way you drive does have a lot to do with the efficiency you will achieve.

Last edited:
Code:
41.8 mi         16.5 kWh           396 Wh/mi

138.5 mi        49.8 kWh           360 Wh/mi    A
232.8 mi        98.2 kWh           422 Wh/mi    B

Updated based on Cinergi's video @ Get Amped Tour: New York, 7/20- 7-/22
Code:
[COLOR="#0000FF"]DISTANCE[/COLOR]     TOTAL [COLOR="#0000FF"]ENERGY[/COLOR]     AVG [COLOR="#0000FF"]ENERGY[/COLOR]
41.8 mi          16.5 kWh      396 Wh/mi

[COLOR="#0000FF"]DISTANCE[/COLOR]     TOTAL [COLOR="#0000FF"]ENERGY[/COLOR]     AVG [COLOR="#0000FF"]ENERGY[/COLOR]
138.5 mi         49.8 kWh      360 Wh/mi    A
232.8 mi         98.2 kWh      422 Wh/mi    B