Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Dashboard and console controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not liking the quality of the dash. I would prefer something like BMW an LCD screen but it doesn't look like one(ie: it has physical elements) :

When off:
attachment.php?attachmentid=279469&d=1245521053.jpg

When on:
attachment.php?attachmentid=279468&d=1245521053.jpg

Also compare the build quality of this with Tesla:
attachment.php?attachmentid=279476&d=1245521114.jpg

I know the Model S is in a very early stage right now, so im hoping the interior quality will be improved by leaps and bounds by launch.

I know the BMWs have good build quality, my driving school had a BMW so I actually did all my training to get my license in one. But I've seen people talk about build quality, but I've never really understood what it actually is. Not the word obviously but what it means in reality. Can someone please use that BMW picture and point me to the build quality, as in make examples?

Cobos

If you have ever had to replace dashboard bulbs you know how difficult the task can be. Does anyone know if Tesla has made this easier for Roadster and/or Model S? It is something one does not think about initially until years down the road when bulbs burn out.

If you have ever had to replace dashboard bulbs you know how difficult the task can be. Does anyone know if Tesla has made this easier for Roadster and/or Model S? It is something one does not think about initially until years down the road when bulbs burn out.
Considering that the Model S seems to only get 2 LCD screens instead of any bulbs I guess those will last the life of the car. Most LCDs last a long long time. I'm not quite sure though.

Cobos

The Roadster has some difficult things to replace. Things that could "easily" be fixed if changes were implemented at the factory. Some things got easier with the 2010 and some actually got harder.

I guess it's all about who is paying for the fixes.

Been awhile since I was told the specifics.

Rembember the Pinto fiasco? $50 part could have saved many lives but the bean counters figured it was worth the lawsuits.

On a smaller level, manufactures of any product has to make the decision to make an item easy and cheaper to assemble vs easy and cheaper to repair. At the heart of the matter is whose money is being spent?

Repair costs go directly to the owner but if the object cost more to buy that consumer may never own it.

I know it is normal for laptop producers to list the weight with the small battery and the runtime with the large battery. Though I was hoping that on direct questions Tesla marketing people wouldn't repeat the same half-truths. I'm talking about the $49 000 price and the 300 miles range, which unless I'm very pleasently surprised wont be happing in the same car...

Cobos

Cluttered control display...

I drive an Acura with a navi system, and I hate that the HVAC controls are in the navi's touch screen. It's distracting to adjust while driving, and if I'm running the navi, it cuts away from the map. I prefer the controls, if they are to be placed in the touch screen, to remain static, non-customizable, so I can at least develop some muscle memory for using commonly used controls, like the HVAC and media.