Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Dashboard and console controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the scan dpeilow.

Is that 1,700 kg an official target specification from Tesla? If so I'm kind of surprised the Model S is only supposed to weight 1,700 kg, as that's not even 500 kg heavier than the Roadster and it's a five(+2?) passenger sedan!

Car Tech: Coolest New Systems on Four Wheels - PCWorld

191650-slide1tesla_model_s_2009-cockpit-606by350pix_slide.jpg

191651-slide2922-kb-tesla-close-up-to-us_slide.jpg

191652-slide3tesla-map-close-up-to-use-i_slide.jpg

Last edited:
That was pretty cool even though it was only the gauge cluster. I wonder if Model S will have something like that too...

Side Note: I hate muzak.

Several commenters here have made the statement that they won't like the touch screen, that they'd rather have knobs and dials for their interface. While thinking of that, I wondered if it would be useful or just a bad idea altogether to have a voice interface:
"Tesla"
"Yes"
"Temperature Up" (or perhaps "Recirculate" when you're driving behind a dump truck, etc. etc. fill in your own blanks)
"Raising Temperature"
"Thank you"

I find that I have to LOOK for the knob or button in order to push it, and on a bumpy road, half the time I miss and have to aim and poke again.

Just a thought.
Rob

"Make it so" -Captain Kirk

Side Note: I hate muzak.

Yeah, that was excruciating just get to the 2-3 second dashboard shot. I hate Lite Jazz, aka Jazz Odours.

FYI, you can form a Youtube URL that will jump directly to the time of interest in the video, by appending this to the end of the URL:

#t=1m23s

In this case, the interesting part is 48 seconds in, so append #t=0m48s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNV6D_WYdYk#t=0m48s

Several commenters here have made the statement that they won't like the touch screen, that they'd rather have knobs and dials for their interface. While thinking of that, I wondered if it would be useful or just a bad idea altogether to have a voice interface:
"Tesla"
"Yes"
"Temperature Up" (or perhaps "Recirculate" when you're driving behind a dump truck, etc. etc. fill in your own blanks)
"Raising Temperature"
"Thank you"

I find that I have to LOOK for the knob or button in order to push it, and on a bumpy road, half the time I miss and have to aim and poke again.

Just a thought.
Rob

"Make it so" -Captain Kirk

That makes sense; multiple ways to input commands is always better than just one. While I like (and hope) to be using the 17" touchscreen my concerns were that of the issue you mentioned above, along with the thought of "what happens if you're wearing gloves". With my driving habits, I usually never turn on the heater unless it's really cold (A/C is a different story though).

An interesting thing on the steering wheel on the right side reveals what looks to be a track ball like what's on a Blackberry (or is it just a single button?). I realize such a feature is very preliminary but I wonder what made them decide to have that as oppose to a series of buttons which is the norm on other cars.

tesla-model-s-interior-screen.jpg

Actually, IIRC, that was Captain Picard.

Yeah I don't remember Kirk ever saying that. :biggrin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWogTTQJRmE

Yeah, that was excruciating just get to the 2-3 second dashboard shot. I hate Lite Jazz, aka Jazz Odours.

FYI, you can form a Youtube URL that will jump directly to the time of interest in the video, by appending this to the end of the URL:

#t=1m23s

In this case, the interesting part is 48 seconds in, so append #t=0m48s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNV6D_WYdYk#t=0m48s

haha.... I actually decided to watch the whole video again just to analyze the music after reading your comment.

Thanks for the great tip too.

I really like the console on the S. I read in this thread that it runs on linux: Does anyone know what flavour? If it was possible i'd be tempted to try and run linuxICE and nGhost for complete customisation.

I can't wait to buy a Model S. I've even convinced the wife! haha

Good job on convincing your wife on the future purchase of the a Model S. As for the ability for you to customize the display, by delving into the linux, will not happen because of safety concerns, warranty issues and for ease of technical trouble shooting by Tesla Motors. I feel TM will offer some form of customizations.

I suppose that does make sense. Since it interacts with actual car systems, not just music and navigation, then i probably shouldn't screw around with it! haha. It would be good to be able to download/create skins or themes for the UI at least.

I've managed to convince the wife that i need an S only in exchange for moving back to Canada (we're in Australia now), and rather than converting a car, i'll convert a bike as an interim EV fix. :D