Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Dashboard and console controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Safe but annoying. What if my passenger wanted to check something real quick? That's my biggest problem with my Toyota nav, you can't do anything but move the map and zoom while driving. The vehicle has to stop before it allows you to do anything meaningfull. My wife used to update directions on the fly with our old garmin.

Also said there is no "full internet" while driving. Whatever that means.

Hmm. So the front-seat passenger can't access the internet on the main panel while we're driving? I hope not. I'm often browsing TripAdvisor or Zagat while my wife is driving. Seems kinda silly to have to bring along an iPad when that beauty is sitting at my fingertips.

How long after the first S's hit the street before the infotainment system is jailbroken? Unless it's just perfect in every way, I'd bet not long.

Yeah, I'm hoping there will be lots of tweakability in this system. I just hope it stays on the positive side and we don't end up with cars that are susceptible to blackhat hacking.

Vfx, that's a simple idea that I'd be surprised if they didn't implement. I guess it might involve a lot of on-the-fly calculations, so that could be a strike against it. Could also be a bit confusing too if it were a permanent fixture.

"full internet" implies atleast the ability to watch online video; would be illegal in California for sure: V C Section 27602 Television

Since Tesla surely cannot draw the line easily as to what online content is kosher with this and other such laws elsewhere, safe to say the passenger wouldn't get his/her fix of NYtimes/TripAdvisor/etc. while the car's moving :frown:

Hmm. So the front-seat passenger can't access the internet on the main panel while we're driving? I hope not. I'm often browsing TripAdvisor or Zagat while my wife is driving. Seems kinda silly to have to bring along an iPad when that beauty is sitting at my fingertips.

I'm sure Tesla would do the following: turn off "full internet" on the touchscreen console but, let the WiFi hotspot be fully functional so that, yes, an iPad etc. can be used by the passengers to their hearts' content.

When I was out there the consensus among the Tesla employees was that it would allow internet browsing (NYTimes.com would be fine), but nothing with motion that could be construed as "watching" a video or animation, so no videos while the car is moving. I'm not sure how that's going to work, but that sounded like it was the plan anyway.

So people are putting down $50-100k on a vehicle that one of the main selling points is that it's a super-smartphone-on-wheels, and the solution is to carry around another device? Seems to me the marketing about this car is all about breaking the mold for traditional car manufacurers. A locked-down, feature-poor nav/infotainment system is exactly what all the rest of the market is offering. The Tesla system, as seen so far, is obviously better than the industry standard, but may or maynot surpass aftermarked equipment. It comes down to, should I spend money on the Tesla Nav for $2-4k (if it was an option), or just get an iPad for $600?

Safe but annoying. What if my passenger wanted to check something real quick? That's my biggest problem with my Toyota nav, you can't do anything but move the map and zoom while driving. The vehicle has to stop before it allows you to do anything meaningfull. My wife used to update directions on the fly with our old garmin.
Wow, I didn't know there were navs like this. I frequently have my passenger update or key in directions while the car is moving. It'll be very annoying if that wasn't possible (esp. if I'm on a highway and need to go somewhere else).

When I was out there the consensus among the Tesla employees was that it would allow internet browsing (NYTimes.com would be fine), but nothing with motion that could be construed as "watching" a video or animation, so no videos while the car is moving. I'm not sure how that's going to work, but that sounded like it was the plan anyway.

Would it work for them to disable flash and all video formats while driving? Firefox has plugins that allow you to block this content to help load pages faster (and to block annoying ads) - I assume Tesla could do something similar.

This is why you need the directional screen thing, so that the passenger sees one display while the driver only gets things that drivers are allowed to see whilst driving. This could even be linked to the GPS so that the capabilities the system change if you move between jurisdictions.