Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Dashboard and console controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, I didn't know there were navs like this. I frequently have my passenger update or key in directions while the car is moving. It'll be very annoying if that wasn't possible (esp. if I'm on a highway and need to go somewhere else).

Most stand alone GPS have a setting that will not allow you to input anything in the GPS while the car is in motion, but you have the option to disable it.

-Shark2k

This is why you need the directional screen thing, so that the passenger sees one display while the driver only gets things that drivers are allowed to see whilst driving. This could even be linked to the GPS so that the capabilities the system change if you move between jurisdictions.

Are you thinking of something like a Fresnel prism that deflects part of the image left and the other part right?

As good a thread as any to put this. At least for Verizon, it costs $20/month to add tethering to your iPhone or Android for data up to 2GB. It's an additional $10 per GB above that. It will be interesting to see what Tesla is able to get for the car to have constant Internet without tethering to the phone.

Something to consider, with Verizon, the data stream is interrupted with a phone call.

I don't know about moot. There are three problems with 4G:

1. It's available in limited locations. Great if you're located in one.
2. For data-only devices, it usually has a higher fee attached to it.
3. It's horrible on cell phone batteries.

Of course #3 is thankfully irrelevant in the Model S. It's #2 that I'm most concerned about. If the data connection contract is more than $30/month, I'll have a hard time swallowing it and I'll end up tethering to my 3G iPhone.

I can't see where 4G would be critical in the car unless you're using it as a hot-spot for several devices inside the car and there is bound to be ceilings on the amount of data you can use without incurring additional charges.

In Manitoba, Rogers and MTS (formerly a crown corporation) teamed up to put "HSPA+" (I believe it is basically 3.5G) coverage over nearly the whole province. Rogers also allows unlimited free tethering and mobile AP included with cellular plans over 500MB. Every other company here has limited presence outside of Winnipeg, so I'm hoping Tesla teams up with Rogers here. Unless Tesla has a great price, I definitely would be tethering.

What exactly do you guys mean by 4G? Here in Norway we've got 4G and that has a teoretical limit of 100MBit/s while 3,5G has a teoretical limit of around 9Mbit/s. Assuming the normal you get about 25% of the teoretical limit in reality there still is a huge difference? So how fast does the product marketed as 4G in US actually go?

Cobos

Regarding the voice interface, I think it would a good option to go through a bluetooth headset, both for vocal commands to the car as well as the car speaking info to us. Especially useful when there are passengers in the car talking or making noise. Has anyone heard if this is in the works?

Regarding the voice interface, I think it would a good option to go through a bluetooth headset, both for vocal commands to the car as well as the car speaking info to us. Especially useful when there are passengers in the car talking or making noise. Has anyone heard if this is in the works?

The mics are usually angled toward the driver, and there's some noise cancellation going on as well. Not sure I'd want to put on a headset to use my car's interface.