Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S dead, "Vehicle may not restart"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the bms_w035 error on my car about a month ago and it ended up being battery heater but the car still continued to drive. Not sure about the other errors

Now that you mentioned it, there was the "snow flake" sign next to battery in the dash, indicating that the battery is cold.

Maybe it continues to drive without battery heater if outside temps are high enough? But being in Finland during winter, without battery heater it might just stop you completely to avoid damaging the battery.

If this is still needed I have found similar battery of the OEM DeepCycleSeries, it needs to be at the AGM type to be as similar for the settings on the car:
F4D36AD7-E1A6-4F1A-AC25-1982C23B6515.jpeg

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, and this thread is old, but my 2013 S85 did this same exact thing in November. When I had it towed to Tesla, they advised that the HV battery had failed. I was in Warranty for another 5 weeks thankfully. They refurbished with what they say is a like battery, however at full charge, I am still only getting 238 instead of the advertised 265. I have an early build Model s. build number 15719 to be exact. I have had every problem that the car can have. Tesla has been good to work with and they have been fair in covering a lot of repairs. I have also spent at least $7000 on repairs as well. TIL i have 161000 miles on my MS bought used with 19000 miles on it.

Reactions: Merle and hpartsch
@Zuikkis
Did tesla update you on the issue? I am curious what happened to the car.

Nah.. :( they haven't done anything yet. Car is just standing there.

They say they have too many cars in the service queue, but it sucks they don't even inspect what's wrong so they could order parts.

If I had known it takes this long, I would have inspected it further myself.. I have Scan My Tesla which I didn't even try.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, and this thread is old, but my 2013 S85 did this same exact thing in November. When I had it towed to Tesla, they advised that the HV battery had failed.

I'm secretly hoping it is the battery. I have a 2013 car, and the 8 year warranty is ending in a few months. Would be a perfect time to get a new one. Hopefully get a better one than you did, though...

Reactions: Merle
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, and this thread is old, but my 2013 S85 did this same exact thing in November. When I had it towed to Tesla, they advised that the HV battery had failed. I was in Warranty for another 5 weeks thankfully. They refurbished with what they say is a like battery, however at full charge, I am still only getting 238 instead of the advertised 265. I have an early build Model s. build number 15719 to be exact. I have had every problem that the car can have. Tesla has been good to work with and they have been fair in covering a lot of repairs. I have also spent at least $7000 on repairs as well. TIL i have 161000 miles on my MS bought used with 19000 miles on it.
Last summer my Nissan Leaf got a warning that the "system has failed, car will not restart once shut off" So my wife called me on the phone to relay the message and I told her to come right home and do not shut the car off. She had 20 miles range left. I tried to charge it but the charger wouldn't take. So we drove to the Nissan dealer and parked in front of the check in. Shut off the car and sure as predicted, it was DOA.
Next day Nissan determined the main HV battery had a shorted cell.
Two weeks later they had disassembled the whole pack and replaced the one cell. Cost $2000 but was under warranty. They also gave us a loaner for the 2 weeks. I will trade it in before the warranty runs out! Planning to get a Model Y to replace it.

So far the Leaf has had $3000 of warranty work done in the first 15 months.

Got the car back last Friday. It was three weeks in the service, yet they only charged for two hours! So most of the time it was probably just sitting there in the parking lot.

Anyway, it was the battery heater. They also replaced the 12V battery, which obviously was dead after three weeks without charging... 12V battery is not charged if there is a fault in HV system. However they said the battery was original so maybe it's good to change after 8 years anyway.

A bit over 1000eur including labor and taxes.

Last year I had a similar issue, I thought it was the 12volt battery but it did not fix the issue. In the end the car was towed to Tesla and they measure the HVIL loop and found that the battery heater was faulty. This was replaced at the SEC with a new revision part, costs were around 950 euro's.
Got the car back last Friday. It was three weeks in the service, yet they only charged for two hours! So most of the time it was probably just sitting there in the parking lot.

Anyway, it was the battery heater. They also replaced the 12V battery, which obviously was dead after three weeks without charging... 12V battery is not charged if there is a fault in HV system. However they said the battery was original so maybe it's good to change after 8 years anyway.

I wasn't far off ;). Good that you got the car back. Three weeks to replace the battery heater is way to long IMHO. Including the 12v battery my costs were about the same.

strange... I had the battery heater replaced, the 12v was recently replaced and then got this same message. my baby is in the SC awaiting a new p drive unit

Any update on this issue? I got same issue going on with my 2013 ms, they did emcu upgrade. New 12v. Still alert for high voltage. They said will take a few more days to figure out. Thinking maybe the battery heater or who knows but tesla has had the car for 3 weeks now. Im frustrated. Also out of warranty

Last summer my Nissan Leaf got a warning that the "system has failed, car will not restart once shut off" So my wife called me on the phone to relay the message and I told her to come right home and do not shut the car off. She had 20 miles range left. I tried to charge it but the charger wouldn't take. So we drove to the Nissan dealer and parked in front of the check in. Shut off the car and sure as predicted, it was DOA.
Next day Nissan determined the main HV battery had a shorted cell.
Two weeks later they had disassembled the whole pack and replaced the one cell. Cost $2000 but was under warranty. They also gave us a loaner for the 2 weeks. I will trade it in before the warranty runs out! Planning to get a Model Y to replace it.

So far the Leaf has had $3000 of warranty work done in the first 15 months.
Surprised to see they replaced just one cell...
Would be nice to know how long will it last