Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S "Dealbreakers" (retrospective)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
I was having a discussion with a fellow forum member and we had the idea that it might be interesting to collect the "Dealbreakers" from 2011 and 2012 regarding the Model S.

Please include only seriously expressed "dealbreakers" from 2012 and prior. Preferably with reference links.

Some off the top of my head:
  • cupholders
  • leather
  • non-leather
  • nose cone (old)
  • nose cone (new)
  • nose cone (new new)
  • CD player
  • Sig premium
  • no SC on 40 kWh
  • 3G data plan pricing
  • required annual service

Last edited:
The mandatory service plan was the deal breaker that led to my cancellation. It was honestly more of a straw that broke the camels back thing for me though. When I placed my reservation, I knew that the only Model S I could afford was the 40 (and the only option I was planing to get was active air) When the real world range numbers for the 85 started coming out, I started having some concerns about weather the 40 would meet my needs, as I have a 90 mile commute 1 day a week. I was not 100% confident that the 40 kWh would have been sufficient for me in the long run once the pack starts to degrade, particularly on cold winter days. I had talked myself into the fact that I needed a 60, and while it was a major financial stretch, I thought I could make it work. When the mandatory service was announced, I ran the numbers, and realized that it would add $87.50 per month expenditure to my car (I drive 18,000 miles a year, so would need 1.5 service visits per year, and as the closet tesla store is 2 1/2 hour away from me, i would need ranger service. Since all available cash would have to go to the down payment on the car, and I would not be able to pre-pay, I would be paying $700 per service call. When all the math was run, it was $87.50 per month I would need to set aside) Now of cource, $87.50 is not much, but as I was already stretching way beyond the comfort level to go with the 60, it was simply a bridge to far. I ended up cancelling my reservation, and leasing a volt.

The sad thing is, If I knew then what I know now (that the service would become optional, and that the 40 is really a 60, and thus can use range mode without fear of degradation, and can be upgraded latter when funds allow) I would probably be driving a brand new 40 kWh Model S right now :(

I think most people who had a dealbreaker that made them cancel are in a similar situation. Its not just 1 little thing that made them cancel, but the combination of many things, with one item pushing it over the limit.

Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I'd been in contact with an old high school classmate who was, along with her husband, seriously considering buying a Model S. They'd sent me a list of questions about my experience, were pretty excited, managed a test drive during the St.Louis test drive event recently. They did their homework and I heard from them 3 days ago that they were planning on placing their order the next day. Yesterday I got an "out of the blue" question about the leather wear issue on the B-Pillar that someone had alerted them to and the fact that Tesla wasn't promising coverage under the warranty.

I sent my reassurance that it wasn't an issue in real life and that I felt Tesla would make things right, but she wrote back saying that they'd decided to wait a couple years. They were just a bit uncomfortable with the new technology, unproven vehicle and then, I had the sense, that the door entry thing was their straw that broke the camel's back. Sale lost.

Electric wing mirrors is a big issue for me.

My garage is very tight for 2 vehicles as it is. Every car over last 5 years i have owned has electric mirrors and I use them at least twice a day.

I dont really understand why the Model S doesnt have them even as an option. There must be a good reason I guess.

So its a "deal ponder" for me.

Electric wing mirrors is a big issue for me.
Folding mirrors comes to mind (people with "narrow" garages).

- - - Updated - - -

Adaptive cruise control was another hot button.
"Competitor technologies" (adaptive CC, lane departure, parking sensors) were definitely "hot button" issues back when. I can't recall which were officially "dealbreakers" but some were, IIRC.

I was having a discussion with a fellow forum member and we had the idea that it might be interesting to collect the "Dealbreakers" from 2011 and 2012 regarding the Model S.

Please include only seriously expressed "dealbreakers" from 2012 and prior. Preferably with reference links.

Some off the top of my head:
  • cupholders
  • leather
  • non-leather
  • nose cone (old)
  • nose cone (new)
  • nose cone (new new)
  • CD player
  • Sig premium
  • no SC on 40 kWh
  • 3G data plan pricing
  • required annual service

I wasn't posting on this board at the time, but the 2013 price increase was very nearly a dealbreaker for more. I was planning to get a 40 kWh with only the options I considered essential (tech package, seats with memory, and air suspension for our steep driveway) and it was at the very top of my budget before the price increase. My wife was actually the one that convinced me to try and squeeze in a test drive before the end of the year and plunk down the deposit if I liked the car to lock in the 2012 price. I obviously really liked the car and as luck would have it, my company stock options suddenly became worth a lot more money before I had to finalize the order and I was able to get the 85 kWh version I really wanted :)

I thought the lack of storage was a big issue for several folks. (I'd still prefer better storage).

The lack of a shade for the panoramic room seemed like an issue at the time. turned out it wasn't.

Did nobody mention the lack of spare tire as a deal breaker?
how about vampire load?

For me personally, what made me almost get an Audi S6 was the lack of techno-features like ACC.