Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S, decisions, decisions.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2013 Model S was totaled in an accident recently. I'm interested in buying used this time around. I am down to two choices and would greatly appreciate any feed back from experienced Model S owners with knowledge of these configurations.

Choice One: 2016 P90 with Insane plus, some interior premiums, upgraded rims, premium audio, Autopilot 1.0. Low milles (under 25K). This must have been a late 2016 as it has the new nose front. No accidents.

Choice Two: 2018 S 100D panorama roof, no premium audio, Enhanced Autopilot. Low miles (under 25K). This car had one accident, rear end, no airbag deployed. Repair looks to have been done properly.

The price for these two cars is virtually the same, with similar miles. I was leaning toward the 2018, but one Tesla service guy told me he would probably do the P90. It might be he just appreciates the speed? He also thought a new loaded Model 3 Performance was better than either of Model S choices for the money.

I don't use the car for long distances much, but I am in LA (often bumper to bumper) and wonder if I will appreciate the enhanced autopilot, especially as future self-driving and other functionality may be accessible. I admit the insane mode, although an extravagance, seems like a fun feature to have, even if it's not ludicrous. Although I will probably keep the car for a long time, the resale on a 2018 is much better, and I think the price on this car is far less than I have seen on other 2018 100D's. Finally, I like the exterior color of the P90 a bit better, although the interior is a lighter color which I worry will get dirty.

I know this is all very subjective but I'd love to hear any input anyway. Thanks

The '18 will have MCU2 and closer to FSD ready. With MCU2, you will have full entertainment pak access and Dashcams and Sentry mode will work, where it will not on the '16. The Insane mode will be fun for a while, but you will tire of it except to show off. The '18 will be more valuable later for its features that the '16 will never have. So even if you don't use the Dashcams, the Sentry mode or any FSD, someone after you might, and it will be better resale or trade in - especially since they are nearly the same price today. The '18 minor wreck or not

The '18 will have MCU2 and closer to FSD ready. With MCU2, you will have full entertainment pak access and Dashcams and Sentry mode will work, where it will not on the '16. The Insane mode will be fun for a while, but you will tire of it except to show off. The '18 will be more valuable later for its features that the '16 will never have. So even if you don't use the Dashcams, the Sentry mode or any FSD, someone after you might, and it will be better resale or trade in - especially since they are nearly the same price today. The '18 minor wreck or not

Very helpful. One additional bit of information: Even though the dealer/seller of the P90 told me it was Autopilot 1.0, images of the autopilot screen suggest that it has Autosteer (beta) and Summon (beta). Does this suggest that I have the ability to upgrade to FSD? I'm so confused about the autopilot options, even after trying to research.

Look at the build date on the driver side door opening. If its after Oct 16, then yes, its AP2. Before Oct '16 its AP1. But its still MCU1 and you won't get the best that you will from the '18. You will also have to pay for the FSD package to get the max on the '16 I am pretty sure. The FSD package was on supersale about a year+ ago for $2k. Now its $7k.

'Nuff said

Reactions: FYVO
Careful. Not all 2018 100D’s have MCU2. If it was produced prior to May 2018, there is a chance it will have MCU1.

unfortunately I’m one of those owners who missed the mcu2 by a month. I’ve seen the speed difference between both and it’s quite a variance.

Fortunately I have everything else I wanted ie. mcred, pano roof, cream interior, upgraded audio, 21” arachnid wheels. :)

My 2 cents worth - MCU2 started in 3/2018 builds. I have 2 2017's (90D and P100D) and a 2018 P100D and the biggest difference is the ability to read the news while it drives me to my office in traffic with that MCU2. Go with the 2018 is my recommendation. Don't worry about the P. I have both and I honestly never use anything beyond Sport mode. Drove my wifes 90D this past weekend home from church and hit it in sports mode...wife and daughter got pissed at me because they both hurt their neck. :)

No way I’m buying a car that’s been in an accident, but that’s just me. I have a performance model and love the additional acceleration.

Depends on the accident. Even a bumper kiss and a rear headlight is 5k with Tesla parts and labour. If repaired and painted well, it would have no bearing on anything.

If a seller had pictures of before and after and it was minor, i couldn’t care less and would be happy to take the reduced price :)

Reactions: 2101Guy
Hi,
First time poster here. I have a 2017 P100D maxed out options at the time, and lease will be maturing soon. Debating between buying it out, or buying (no loan or lease) a new performance MS. Prices are within 10%, new car being more. ~ 25K miles. On the surface seems like a sunroof and batt life vs range decision; Any thoughts on what else I should consider? Thanks! Joe

Ask yourself if your a range or a performance person? Did you thoroughly get full use out of ludicrous or?

For 10% you get another 2 yrs warranty, adaptive suspension, MCU2, AP3 and actually more range on the performance than your P100D.

You will lose the sunroof, Alcatera dash, certain interior and exterior colour options.

I’d also test drive the Long range if you want maxed out range and still a very good power curve.

Oh forgot to ask, did you have EAP on your P100D or FSD? Thr new ravens come with only AP standard which is a reduced version of EAP.
So you’d lose that as well upgrading to Performance Raven and having to ony’ing up for FSD to equate features to the old EAP.

I own a 2018 100D with MCU1 and more than happy. My lease is up in 2021 and I’ll likely trade her back in for the latest at the time. The only issue I have is the lack of sunroof. 3 seasons a year I use it abt 75% of the time. Other then that, the Raven is a better driving car than mine given the adaptive suspension.

Just got a 2020 Performance model S. The moonroof is really nice, won’t miss the sunroof. The adaptive suspension makes a huge difference, really impressed on the test drive. Have a great weekend.
Congratulations on joining the Tesla family! You will have the permanent Tesla grin now as you will never get used to "the Teflon smooth drive train and the library quiet interior - no engine noise".

What color combo did you get?

Glad I went with the 2018 100D. Car has been perfect. As if brand new.
217DB5B6-7F93-41AC-9B34-0BF1A2419F18.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2354.JPG
    IMG_2354.JPG
    342.9 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: 2101Guy