Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Defective LEDs on Charger Ring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that after one year, my replacement charger ring is failing with amber lights appearing along with the blue ring or with the green charging ring. Since it's been a year, it's now out of warranty and Tesla is quoting $1100.00 to change out the ring which is unreasonable.

Does anyone know or can point me to a site that offers:

1) DIY on replacing defective LED bulbs OR
2) Site to purchase ONLY the charger LED ring?

What do you mean "since it's been a year?"

There's a 4 year, 50k mile warranty on the car.

The OP stated "replacement charger ring" - I assume his car is out of warranty as is the ring.

I have the same problem - I just live with it and I am happy I have a charger ring! I cannot get used to my M3 not having one. The ring makes so much more sense - especially when charging at night - you know where to stick the charger.

Also, here's another post that's related : Charge Port LED Ring Failed... again... and again.

Why would anyone pay nearly $700 to fix some completely unnecessary and useless LEDs?

Why would anyone pay nearly $700 to fix some completely unnecessary and useless LEDs?
If only the LED's woulda been fine, but the un-latch that accepts the charging wand is unreliable. I have to fiddle with the button a bunch to finally hear the click before putting in. And the pins look awful and warn. Don't wanna take any chances, going on a trip soon.

My situation got worse. First, I'd been having flaky wand insert at both home & Supercharger while the LED's were broke. After the ranger put in new port assembly (2 pics below), he launched a software update and left. After software & rebooting, I could not charge and no LED's either. Wand was not seated properly (Charge cable not fully secured error in App), and charge port latch not engaged (on instrument cluster). Call ranger and shared this "missing bottom donut photo" of my home wall connector wand. So, that black plastic or hard rubber donut became unsecured to wand, and resided in the car port. So it was kind of working, just because the part was still where it needed to be at home charging.

Ranger said go to SC, I plugged in and it was still flaky to insert wand, but did, and no LED's but charging happened. So after a few minutes, I tried to remove wand and no luck, would not unlock even though I could hear that clicking attemped. I then tried the pull cord located in the trunk wall, still could not remove wand, so stuck. Ranger came and opened up the back again, found that the pull cord was tangled, and it does happen a lot. He got wand out, and tried some more insert/removes. Eventually he said service team mothership would call me to set an appointment at Dublin center, waiting on that now.

Not sure if I can depend on the wand being able to remove, so not charging anywhere for now. Getting resolution to home wall connector wand also now.

Sorry long story, bad scene

Attachments

• IMG_9523.JPG
    IMG_9523.JPG
    953.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_9527.JPG
    IMG_9527.JPG
    301 KB · Views: 28
  • Missing bottom donut.jpg
    Missing bottom donut.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 28