Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S definitely quieter than Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a 2018 75D loaner while my 3D was being serviced for a couple of days. On the same streets and highway, I noticed there was much less road/wind noise than I was used to - it was great! I felt less...fatigued if that’s the right word when compared to my 3D after driving for long stretches.

Not sure if it’s just better/more sound insulation but the S does ride much quieter and as a result felt more premium.

I think I saw someone use a decibel meter and found a 2-4db difference translating to about a 40%-60% reduction in perceptible sound. Seems about right based on my experience.

PS - Also, air suspension :)

It's not your imagination. Tire, wind and traffic noise in the Model 3 is unfortunately not up to par for its price class. That was one of the first things I noticed (coming from a BMW 340i).

curious, when did you take delivery/is yours a recent build?

I believe they've gotten better about this recently.

curious, when did you take delivery/is yours a recent build?

I believe they've gotten better about this recently.
I have an August build. I didn't notice any significant difference between my car and the early build from 2017 I drove first. The Model 3 transfers a lot more noise from the tires into the interior (particularly annoying on rough road surfaces). It also lacks acoustic glass, so general traffic noises are louder. Wind noise isn't terrible on mine, but still noticeably louder than on the Bimmer.

re than a year ago

I have an August build. I didn't notice any significant difference between my car and the early build from 2017 I drove first. The Model 3 transfers a lot more noise from the tires into the interior (particularly annoying on rough road surfaces). It also lacks acoustic glass, so general traffic noises are louder. Wind noise isn't terrible on mine, but still noticeably louder than on the Bimmer.

damn that sucks to hear, I test-drove a M3 in August and though the acoustics and ride were comparable to a 4 series I had recently test drove. however I do know that the 4 series is rougher than the 3 series.

I notice gear whine on my S, and there is hardly any mechanical noise from my 3. So, in my case, not definitely quieter.
It may depend on which model you have. I hear some faint gear whine in my AWD (presumably from the front motor), but from what I remember the RWD I drove first didn't have it. It may be more pronounced on the AWD versions of the Model S as well. In any case it really doesn't bother me while the road noise does. I often find myself adjusting the volume of my podcasts way up when driving at highway speeds on a rough surface. :confused:

Reactions: SoCalGuy
So I took delivery of a 3 this Friday and I had a S85D that I traded in. I am noticing a light grinding noise when going from 0-15 mph on my 3, on my S it was silent. Is this normal for 3s?
I have not ever heard what I would describe as a grinding noise with my 3. Worth getting checked out before the imminent deliveries slam service capacity even further.

Anyone with a S loaner ever get their cars updated? Both loaners have been V8 and wish I could update them.

Regards to noise, Model S definitely is the quietest of the bunch of cars I've driven recently but I feel the Model 3 sound system is superior to the S (09/18 build) where it beats the insulation advantage.

My 2012 Volt felt like it had better insulation between a 3 and an S, wifes C300 is like a S except for the engine noise.

My old Spark EV noise was terrible for an EV, but still way better than a 1999 mustang I was driving before I got my P3D. I couldnt even hear myself talk in that car LOL.

• Informative
Reactions: suwaneedad
It's a lot smoother and quieter. It's also got a longer wheelbase. The 3 is a lot more tossable and doesn't feel like a boat. But it has a much shorter wheelbase.

They're totally different cars, which only makes sense that they would feel totally different.

It makes more sense to compare the 3 to a BMW 3 series or Audi A4. I haven't driven a recent one, but the Model 3 has a REALLY rough ride. A lot rougher than I expected for the class. I just bought a X3, which is about the same size as the Model 3. The ride is infinitely smoother. Other than a bit more road/wind noise, it's a smoother experience than even the Model S. And it's riding on run flats that, to my knowledge, don't have sound deadening foam inside.