Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S delays?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's something from TM owner's site:
We are not yet ready to share details on Model S. An official unveiling is likely months away, but stay tuned. We are as anxious as you are to discuss Tesla's next model.

Zak
Posted by Zak on August 27, 2008.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aren't we talking serious delays then at this point? If they are not yet ready to reveal the design for several months yet they will not probably not be able to finish DOT crash testing before the end of the year. That means they've barely got a year to build factory, check out EPs and then VPs and get everything polished for production in 2010. I was sort of hoping early 2010, but seems like late 2010 is the best they can do. There should be lots and lots of competition then shouldn't it ?

Cobos

Cobos,

Maybe Tesla has changed their gameplan. After the little mini-fiasco they've experienced getting the Roadster into production, maybe they've learned that they better be further ahead in development before they release the car. The differences between the Roadster now, and when it was first revealed are really quite astonishing.

1. PEM (controller) redesigned from analog to digital, and then upgraded to put out more amps
2. Batteries changed (they switched to batteries that were lower capacity but were more durable)
3. Transmission switched four times
4. Got a different supplier for their carbon fiber panels
5. Door sills redesigned to meet crash test requirements

These are five pretty major points. I'm sure pretty much all car companies modify their cars along the way to production; however, this much is simply unheard of!

I think they'll get it right this time.

Cobos,

Maybe Tesla has changed their gameplan. After the little mini-fiasco they've experienced getting the Roadster into production, maybe they've learned that they better be further ahead in development before they release the car. The differences between the Roadster now, and when it was first revealed are really quite astonishing.

Yes, this is what I am guessing too. They probably want more actual development done on Model S before unveiling it so that there won't be so many delays like with the Roadster (the delays were one of the main reasons why Tesla's reputation on the internet isn't so good).

They still have time to finish the design, do DOT testing and still make a late 2010 release. The timing is tight, but they can still do it.

Also there is nothing to say that they have to advertise when the design is done. They can finish the design, go through DOT testing while publicly proclaiming that they are still working on the design and still hit the 2010 deadline.

Admittedly though, they are going to have to work hard to hit it whatever they do.

Dead Spot

Looks like we have hit a dead spot in information from tesla. There hasn't seemed to be any new info since all the suv histeria. Maybe getting ready for an announcement?:confused:

I went to the MP store on Saturday to take VP11 for a spin. I was told that Model S was originally going to be shown at the L.A. auto show but that it's now unlikely. My bet is that they'll unveil it at a special event at their L.A. store in December.

There have been definite delays from the "we plan to unveil the Whitestar in Q2 2008" -- but it is unclear that there are delays in "we plan to start delivering the Model S in late 2010."

I hope they can still hit that date. It is looking risky at this point.

Since these not necissarily are related I wouldn't say the Model S has to be delayed yet. Or it can be delayed from early 2010 which may have been the plan to late 2010. Since they've always said 2010 we would be none the wiser. I do hope we see the Whitestar soon. There are sketches of early drafts around obviously as Siry has shown media and the contact from Tesla mentioned when I drove the Roadster.

Cobos

That led to further production delays, & even Drivetrain 1.5 hasn't gone thru a Durability/Reliability testing program
Do you know this for a fact? I would assume that the delay between coming up with the design for 1.5 back in January, and putting it production cars (not for another month or two) is because they are doing Durability/Reliability testing. If they aren't, why not just use it from the beginning of production this past March? The design was complete back then.
But, to now hear about delays in "S"..this sounds like "same old same old". I guarantee you, this persistent pattern of under-delivering will cause great harm to their brand-name/reputation.
Well, most of the "delays" you are hearing about are mere speculation on this board (admittedly some of which by me). As of about 10 days ago, Tesla representatives were telling me that they still plan on getting the Model S out in late 2010 (which is not a delay). What has been delayed is showing the public the final design. This may be a cause for concern... but may also be Tesla Motors trying not to over-promise/ under-deliver as you put it. Certainly we can be concerned, but I don't know that it is worth a 2 page diatribe at this point. Their timeline is starting to seem a bit rushed, but they specifically said they could still meet their 2010 date if they finalized the design by the end of this year.

Well, most of the "delays" you are hearing about are mere speculation on this board (admittedly some of which by me). As of about 10 days ago, Tesla representatives were telling me that they still plan on getting the Model S out in late 2010 (which is not a delay). What has been delayed is showing the public the final design.

Yes, this point has to be emphasized. While we know there is a delay of unveiling the final design, we do NOT know if Model S is is delayed. Ask the general public or even posters at the various auto blogs (who generally keep up more with auto news) and I can bet almost none of them are even aware Tesla Motors had a planned date for unveiling the Model S design. For the public, once you unveil the design of the car, they start paying attention and if something wrong happens they are going to cling onto it. Again, my guess is Tesla is trying to get further on the car before unveiling it so they have reasonable confidence nothing big goes wrong afterwards (ie. like the transmission troubles of the Roadster).

Tesla Motors - think
The net result will be a delay in start of production of the Model S of roughly six months to mid-2011. On the plus side, we will spend the extra time refining the vehicle design and powertrain technology, so the car will end up being slightly better.
Does this delay of the Model S put it at a competitive disadvantage?