Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S delays?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6 months is not that long a time. I don't think it will hurt to the extent that Model S will not be a viable car. However, I think much of the appeal of both the Roadster and the Model S has been because there has been little to no competition. The longer the delay, the more difficult the market will be. Many plug-in cars are coming around the 2010/2011 time frame. Even though most are not pure-EV, I think the mass market will be more interested in plug-in hybrids for the short term.

I wonder if this also delays Bluestar?

Some possible 'S customers' could consider Fisker or even Volt as an alternative even though they aren't 'pure EV'.

Sure, but their combined production in first year won't reach 10.000 cars.
You think, there ain't enough buyers in USA, Europe, Asia tu buy them all?

More models from different makers will only add credit to the whole concept of driving without gas. Competition will become a "problem", when market could'nt take it anymore - in 10 years or so.

Sure, but their combined production in first year won't reach 10.000 cars.
You think, there ain't enough buyers in USA, Europe, Asia tu buy them all?

More models from different makers will only add credit to the whole concept of driving without gas. Competition will become a "problem", when market could'nt take it anymore - in 10 years or so.

I do see your point, but there will be some advantage to being the first to market. And I bet the Model S and Karma will essentially be competing for the same customers. I was looking forward to the Model S and with it being even more delayed I might end up with something less spectacular but fitting for my needs. We'll see closer to 2010 I suppose :)

Cobos

Some possible 'S customers' could consider Fisker or even Volt as an alternative even though they aren't 'pure EV'.

I was told by some Tesla staff today that one of the reasons for the model S delay is because of the current financial markets. It was said that the company was undervalued when seeking investment capital, so they have decided to not seek investment capital for now. The same market trends could very well affect other EV and Hybrid car makers, only other carmakers don't have a product out (or Elon's deep pockets) to bring in working capital.

Last edited:
Well, OK

It sounded like at least some of it was put on hold when they said: "The net result will be a delay in start of production of the Model S of roughly six months to mid-2011."

...they don't expect the car's introduction to be delayed.

Isn't it already delayed?. Previous comments had suggested that the unveiling was to to be this year not next. ("...hope to unveil it in the second quarter of this year. ")
Another reference here

Last edited:
I see this as an advantage in comparison with the Karma and Lightening and such cars. But BMW surprise announcement of a EV Mini THIS year means you shouldn't write off them at least announcing a EV or PHEV BMW by the time you can actually get Model S delivered. Not to mention the Volt will either come out more or less on target or GM will be broke, in which case all bets are off... So interesting times as the Chinese will say.

Cobos

Well, I'm not sure about dates, but I did ask them specifically if the introduction of Model S would be delayed because the production date was delayed. I was told that they didn't plan on any delay for the introduction. I guess I should have asked for timelines.

Flabby please do. I'm really curious for the Model S, and everytime someone says it looks great or is very practical design our expectations goes up. I am a bit afraid that by the time they do reveal it, it'll be a disappointment since it can't even fly :)

Cobos

I was in LA today at the test drive event for the 1.5 tranny and two of the people there said they've seen the sedan. Whether that means the completed car or just the design, i don't know, but one said that it is "beautiful". It was mentioned that the Sedan is 90% complete.

For what it is worth I was told by Tesla the Model S was 90% complete back in the Menlo Park store opening (June? July?). Granted a casual conversation with a percentage complete shouldn't be taken as accurate for anything. But at the time, they had just hired their new designer (even though it wasn't announced yet) and his job was to finish out the design. They told me the car itself was essentially done, but they were tweaking the details of the exterior - trying to find the balance between looks and aerodynamics.

I wonder if this means that they have changed the design several times since then. Or maybe it means nothing at all.

It is always that final 10%...

Remember this? (Dec'07):
"...Tesla is also hard at work on model 2, the mid-size luxury sports sedan, which will be unveiled in the first half of next year..."

You can see there were numerous statements to the effect that "Model 2" would be fully announced by now.

For what it is worth I was told by Tesla the Model S was 90% complete back in the Menlo Park store opening (June? July?). Granted a casual conversation with a percentage complete shouldn't be taken as accurate for anything. But at the time, they had just hired their new designer (even though it wasn't announced yet) and his job was to finish out the design. They told me the car itself was essentially done, but they were tweaking the details of the exterior - trying to find the balance between looks and aerodynamics.

I wonder if this means that they have changed the design several times since then. Or maybe it means nothing at all.

It is always that final 10%...
Well as a friend of mine used to say. The first 90% of the work takes 10% of the time, and the last 10% takes 90% of the time. :) So if that is true we are talking around 2015.

I would love it if they at the LA Auto Show showed a prototype or concept so we at least would know what kind of basic shell they are aiming for...

Cobos

But at the time, they had just hired their new designer (even though it wasn't announced yet) and his job was to finish out the design.

And I was told that he was finishing the Model S and would now devote some of his time to the Roadster. I got the impression that his work would be for spicing up the car with aftermarket goodies but I suppose they will have the 2010 Roadster changes to deal with soon enough.

And I am not saying that (nor did I ask) that the Bluestar (Model "T"?) was not being worked on.

Official confirmation that the Model S will not be at Detroit. We knew more or less they were planning for Geneva - but some had speculated they would push it up to Detroit. Here is confirmation that they are not:

2009 Detroit Auto Show: Tesla Motors Model S Not Coming to Detroit

SAN CARLOS, California — Inside Line has confirmed that Tesla Motors' highly anticipated Model S sedan will not be unveiled in Detroit next month at the 2009 North American International Auto Show.

"The plan is to unveil that in late February or March," said Rachel Konrad, Tesla Motors spokesperson, in an e-mail response to a query from Inside Line.