Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S delivery date moved up drastically

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went and found the car at the dealership. Confirmed vin and looked the car over pretty good. It was unlocked and in “transportation mode?” Or something like that. Most of the plastic shipping materials had been removed, but still had tape and some stickers on it. I was excited and was scheduled for delivery the next day. Now scheduled for next Monday, but they keep bumping the day before I get to delivery.
So when that say firmware, are they referring to hardware that has to be physically installed?

I went and found the car at the dealership. Confirmed vin and looked the car over pretty good. It was unlocked and in “transportation mode?” Or something like that. Most of the plastic shipping materials had been removed, but still had tape and some stickers on it. I was excited and was scheduled for delivery the next day. Now scheduled for next Monday, but they keep bumping the day before I get to delivery.
So when that say firmware, are they referring to hardware that has to be physically installed?
No. Software update.

But keep in mind it’s probably a BS excuse.

Thanks for the explanation! I totally understand now.
I stopped by the delivery center on my way home and was able to look at inside of car.
First thing I saw was message that the car was ready for the update. Option to do download now or it would automatically download as scheduled at 1:30am. Great!
So then just walked in and was greeted within a few minutes and was able to move up delivery to this Saturday!! So excited now and Thankful for everyone’s help😎

Reactions: aerodyne
I have been very disappointed with the Delivery Center for Nashville, Tn. I went by this summer and asked to look at a model S. Was told they had no inventory and were prohibited from letting me look at the interior of any customer cars. When I asked when I could expect to have a test drive, was told it would be early 2022 at the earliest. I checked back a month later and was told same thing. Since then, they have not contacted me nor answered any questions I asked them during the original visit.
Given this terrible type of "service" and lack of follow up, I have decided to look at other EVs and other companies that do provide service. Very disappointing!

Reactions: FlatSix911
I have been very disappointed with the Delivery Center for Nashville, Tn. I went by this summer and asked to look at a model S. Was told they had no inventory and were prohibited from letting me look at the interior of any customer cars. When I asked when I could expect to have a test drive, was told it would be early 2022 at the earliest. I checked back a month later and was told same thing. Since then, they have not contacted me nor answered any questions I asked them during the original visit.
Given this terrible type of "service" and lack of follow up, I have decided to look at other EVs and other companies that do provide service. Very disappointing!
I recently ordered a M3 LR, with an expected delivery in Feb, although I am getting very tempted to change to a Model S. Like you, I have found Tesla to be very indifferent to new customers. They convey a take-it-or-leave-it attitude, as if we are lucky to be able to buy one of their cars. The more people put up with this, the less incentive they have to change. Perhaps it is because they have so many people lining up to buy their cars. Perhaps some day they will have to change their ways when/if there is suitable competition and customers will be more valued.

I recently ordered a M3 LR, with an expected delivery in Feb, although I am getting very tempted to change to a Model S. Like you, I have found Tesla to be very indifferent to new customers. They convey a take-it-or-leave-it attitude, as if we are lucky to be able to buy one of their cars. The more people put up with this, the less incentive they have to change. Perhaps it is because they have so many people lining up to buy their cars. Perhaps some day they will have to change their ways when/if there is suitable competition and customers will be more valued.
Exactly why competition is good. Lucid, Rivian, and even the new EVs from big manufacturers, will all be good things. Things will change, or another company will take the crown.

Flip the script for a second …. Let’s say it were your car in service right now. Would you be OK with random strangers checking out your car?

What if, heaven forbid, something were to go missing? Of course you’d blame the service staff, right?

Not only do I understand, but really appreciate them not letting random folks stick their heads in customer cars. I’d kinda expect that, actually.

Now, as for inventory. Model S was on hiatus for the better part of a year. There really aren’t any demo cars out there right now. Every one they build is being used to fulfill the huge backlog.

That said, I do agree with you; they should at least respond to questions. Most of them will do so in person, but not via text or email. That’s something we all know Tesla needs to improve on. They really need to get a handle on communications.

I had a similar experience when speaking to them on the phone. I understand the Knoxville center is better, so that's what I chose for my delivery. (I live about halfway in between Nashville & Knoxville.)

Probably the best thing for you. Similar no test drives for Plaid or EQS 580 at a posh MB dealer in LA.

I respectfully suggest "you have no idea, no idea, just how bad (Tesla customer service) is out there."