Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery Dates and Sequencing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree... based on the posts I have seen many being delivered the day prior to the window. Given the 1% reduction in sales tax, I can wait a couple extra days (though I will not want to).

Be aware that sometimes the dates Tesla gives you are conservative. So it's possible that your car will be ready before 5/24. I got mine delivered here in Tempe 2 days before my window was supposed to begin. I got it a day earlier than I was told it would roll off the line.

Not saying it'll happen to you. Just saying be prepared for that possibility. (Rare situation where someone wants to wait for their MS!)

- - - Updated - - -

Even with the holiday I would count on an early delivery. We have not received any e-mails yet but expect them any day. THey must have a few DS people now as the Scottsdale store I think said we would hear from a Chris or Curtis (can't remember). The state portion is what is dropping so I would think you would still save unless Scottsdale voted in an increase for something.

My take on it is that I don't want to take any chances on the AZ MVD using the paperwork date -- especially since taking delivery a couple days later will ensure I get the lower state rate (I'm in Scottsdale, so that rate won't be changing when/if I get a city use tax bill).

I received the DS contact info on Sat May 11 a day after the VIN appeared, but have not been contacted by her yet (planning on dropping an email tonight)... The VIN email said production would be complete on May 24 -- so with Memorial Day weekend, I'm guessing the earliest the car ships out is Tues May 28, arriving in Phoenix on May 29. So I don't expect it to be a major issue to schedule delivery on or after June 1...

My VIN is ~250 below yours, irish -- and I'm in far north Scottsdale, so near you in Cave Creek...

Our VIN just appeared above the Status in the My Garage window. Sounds like the e-mail from Tesla with it may show or tomorrow or later this week. We were like you and saw people that finalized on the same day as us and they got their VIN last week. Must be something with the configurationa and maybe where it is being delivered.

What's your config? How did you discover your VIN, via email? Does the phone app acknowledge you have a car yet?
I'm 4 days after you for a finalize date.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats!!!

Be aware that sometimes the dates Tesla gives you are conservative. So it's possible that your car will be ready before 5/24. I got mine delivered here in Tempe 2 days before my window was supposed to begin. I got it a day earlier than I was told it would roll off the line.

Not saying it'll happen to you. Just saying be prepared for that possibility. (Rare situation where someone wants to wait for their MS!)

I was paying attention to your dates -- so I'm aware that may happen.

But... My VIN is ~2500 higher than yours. Assuming production is still at 400 per week (per the earnings release...), then mine should come out of the factory ~6.25 weeks after yours -- so I would expect mine to be live in app around May 28-29 (which would be after scheduled completion of May 24...). Assuming it arrives in Phoenix 3 days after its live in app, that means May 31 or June 1. Right on schedule for me!

I just got the e-mail as well and do not see a link to the Delivery Questionnaire... maybe it takes a while to update though the VIN appeared well before the e-mail.

*Update* I now remember that I answered the Delivery Questionnaire when I clicked on the Delivery Button last week. Still haven't heard from the DS yet with a final date and no response from the e-mail I sent yesterday to the main delivery e-mail address requesting a 6/1 or later delivery date for the sales tax savings.

Well, that's odd. I just got the delivery email saying to go fill out the questionnaire in MyTesla, but I don't actually see a link in my garage for it.

Last edited:
I think it takes a while for the website to reflect it.

I received the email last Thurs - time stamp was late morning, but I didn't see it until I got home that evening. I had gone to the website from work in early afternoon and ddidn't see the button...

- - - Updated - - -

*Update* I now remember that I answered the Delivery Questionnaire when I clicked on the Delivery Button last week. Still haven't heard from the DS yet with a final date and no response from the e-mail I sent yesterday to the main delivery e-mail address requesting a 6/1 or later delivery date for the sales tax savings.

I also haven't heard from the DS or had a response to the email I sent to the delivery box last Thurs evening requesting the same 6/1 or later delivery...

My VIN is ~2500 higher than yours. Assuming production is still at 400 per week (per the earnings release...), then mine should come out of the factory ~6.25 weeks after yours -- so I would expect mine to be live in app around May 28-29 (which would be after scheduled completion of May 24...). Assuming it arrives in Phoenix 3 days after its live in app, that means May 31 or June 1. Right on schedule for me!

Don't try to out think it. Cars are built in batches and I think based on supply of accessories, color, etc. Like cars come out the same time. Also, once you are assigned a VIN and car starts production, a glitch may pull your car off the line to be taken care of. (Not necessarily a bad thing - something may not meet spec and gets fixed) Then it continues down the line and will be out of order (VIN wise). Another factor may be destination - they probably don't want a lot of cars sitting around waiting for a truck.

It will come, don't worry.

Not having a Tesla experience on this end. My Vin number appeared about three weeks ago and since my delivery window was 4/29 to 5/13, I was pretty excited. But now sitting here on 5/15 without any information from Tesla regarding a delivery. They are nice but no definitive answers. Lots of promises to call back without any follow through. Disappointing....

- - - Updated - - -

PS: my vin number ends in 9359

Don't try to out think it. Cars are built in batches and I think based on supply of accessories, color, etc. Like cars come out the same time. Also, once you are assigned a VIN and car starts production, a glitch may pull your car off the line to be taken care of. (Not necessarily a bad thing - something may not meet spec and gets fixed) Then it continues down the line and will be out of order (VIN wise). Another factor may be destination - they probably don't want a lot of cars sitting around waiting for a truck.

It will come, don't worry.

I'm not worried. Just was trying to put a bit of logic into estimating the delivery date (and Jomo is in the same delivery area as me) -- and came up with a few days after Tesla's email states. I'm one of the few here who wants a later delivery only since AZ's state sales tax goes down 1% on June 1!

I also know a bit about car manufacturing -- I spent a summer in college working the line in Munich building engines for BMW... Frequent inspections and rework loops on the line are a good thing -- easier to fix something when you're able to and there is less installed. The modern lines with the robot platforms that hold the car also make that much easier -- instead of having a re-work station off to the side, the whole car can be sent back to the station that has all the right equipment to correct the error. When I worked for BMW, they had just installed that type of line for their then-new V8 engine -- was really cool to see it work compared to the line I worked on just ~100 meters away that was still a physical line, with re-work stations on a loop to pull engines off to the side to fix.

It looks like Tesla is now giving 21 day delivery windows.

A few weeks back when I got mine, it was a 14 day window. Not sure what it was in the past earlier.

Any speculation on why the longer windows now?

[FONT=&quot] 85kWh, Green Metallic Paint, Tech Package, Tan Leather, Lacewood, Panoramic Roof, 19" Wheels, Air Suspension, Studio Sound – Finalized 4/19/13 – Delivery Button 5/8/13 – VIN #11399 on 5/14/12 -- Delivery Window June 5-19 (East Coast) [/FONT]

It looks like Tesla is now giving 21 day delivery windows.

A few weeks back when I got mine, it was a 14 day window. Not sure what it was in the past earlier.

Any speculation on why the longer windows now?

[FONT=&quot] 85kWh, Green Metallic Paint, Tech Package, Tan Leather, Lacewood, Panoramic Roof, 19" Wheels, Air Suspension, Studio Sound – Finalized 4/19/13 – Delivery Button 5/8/13 – VIN #11399 on 5/14/12 -- Delivery Window June 5-19 (East Coast) [/FONT]

My guess: With higher volume, it's easier to manage the shipping if you have more cars to play with. In early days, it was probably a slot or two on a car carrier and now they want to save costs and delivery time by sending a full carrier to a single destination. This is easier with a few extra days of production to use in the sequencing.